Our department is one of the 16 departments in the Faculty of Bioscience Engineering at Ghent University. We are conducting research in a number of areas under the following two clusters:
- Environmental Organic Chemistry and Technology - EnVOC (Prof. H. Van Langenhove - Prof. J. Dewulf - Prof. K. Demeestere)
- Organic synthesis: Synthesis, Bioresources and Bioorganic Chemistry - SynBioC (Prof. C. Stevens - Prof. M. D'hooghe - Prof. S. Mangelinckx), and Prof. em. N. De Kimpe.
The department employs about 80 staff members, and provides education in approximately 30 courses. We contribute to the curricula of the Bachelor in Bioscience Engineering and of the Master in Bioscience Engineering, among others.
Our offices and laboratories are located in building B on Campus Coupure, Ghent.
The current head of the department is Prof. Christian Stevens. Former heads of the department:
- Prof. Herman Van Langenhove (2009-2016)
- Prof. Roland Verhé (1998-2009)
- Prof. Niceas Schamp (until 1998)