APS screening for Chinese students
Students with a Chinese diploma need to obtain the APS certificate, when applying at a Flemish higher education institution. An APS certificate is a condition for obtaining a student visa at the Belgian Embassy or Consulates General in PR China.
The APS screening is not an academic selection procedure, but is meant to avoid document fraud and to guarantee a sufficient language knowledge.
- Authenticity screening of documents (diplomas, certificates, exam results,..). Either the student’s home institution will be contacted, or databases of graduates issued by the Chinese Ministry of Education will be consulted.
- Academic interview (in Beijing or by a travelling jury): testing the language knowledge and defining the student’s level.
Students can apply for the APS certificate in case
- They have finished at least one semester at a so called “211 university”
- They have finished at least three semesters at another official Chinese university
The APS-certificate is not granted in case of
Insufficient language knowledge
All students from the People’s Republic of China holding a Chinese diploma need to obtain the APS certificate.
However, a distinction can be made in the way one receives his/her certificate:
- CSC (China Scholarship Council) grant holders are exempted from the interview (but still need to go through the document screening)
- Erasmus Mundus grant holders are exempted from the interview (but still need to go through the document screening)
- students from universities with which Ghent University has a Cooperation Agreement are exempted from the interview (but still need to go through the document screening)
In the cases listed above, student should send an email to Inge.Mangelschots@UGent.be mentioning full name, birth date and home institution.
APS screening fee will be reimbursed by the China Platform. Please make an appointment upon arrival at Ghent University.