Vacancy: PhD scientific researcher in the field of bioinformatics
(07-03-2017) We would like to draw your attention to a job opening at the IDLab research group of Ghent University - imec. We have a vacant Ph.D. position for a researcher in the field of bioinformatics.
IDLab (http://www.ugent.be/ea/idlab) performs fundamental and applied research on internet technologies and data science. Major research areas are machine learning and data mining, semantic intelligence, distributed intelligence for IoT, cloud and big data infrastructures, multimedia processing, wireless and fixed networking, electromagnetics, RF and high-speed circuits and systems. IDLab has a unique research infrastructure used in numerous national and international collaborations. IDLab collaborates with many universities and research centers worldwide and jointly develops advanced technologies with industry (R&D centers from international companies, Flanders’ top innovating large companies and SMEs, as well as numerous high-tech start-ups).
We currently have a job offer for a full-time Ph.D. researcher to support our research track in the field of bioinformatics. Bioinformatics is an interdisciplinary field of science that combines computer science, statistics, mathematics and engineering to analyse and interpret biological data. From within IDLab, we have a primary focus on the mathematical and computational aspects of bioinformatics, however, we actively collaborate with researchers in life sciences, such as biologists, medical doctors, bioscience engineers, veterinarians, etc. Our bioinformatics research group in itself is also interdisciplinary, including computer scientists, mathematicians, engineers and bioscience engineers.
In order to perform high-quality research at IDLab, we are looking for clever and highly motivated researchers that are interested in obtaining a Ph.D. degree. If you are interested in this job opening and your profile corresponds to the description attached, please send your resume and motivation letter to Prof. Jan Fostier, Ghent University – INTEC, Technologiepark 15, 9052 Ghent, or via email to firstname.lastname@example.org.
- You have a master degree in computer science, informatics, mathematics, physics or bioscience engineering.
- Proven (e.g. student project, master thesis, previous working experience, …) strong analytical skills for designing models and analysing research results.
- You work independently, have a strong feeling of responsibility and are able to commit to timings and milestones.
- You are well-organized and are able to autonomously plan and execute tasks.
- Programming experience is a requirement.
- To conduct high-quality research in the domain of bioinformatics in one of our various research tracks and in an interdisciplinary setting.
- To acquire an elaborate knowledge of the bioinformatics domain. This is done on-the-job via literature study of scientific publications as well as meetings with fellow colleagues from the department. Finally, you have the option to attend specific courses offered by our university to accelerate this learning process.
- To publish and present scientific results both at international conferences and in scientific journals.
- To work towards obtaining a Ph.D. degree.
- A full-time position in a challenging, stimulating and pleasant research environment where you can contribute to solving research problems with a clear societal as well as economic value. You will join a young and enthusiastic team of researchers, post-docs and professors. You will receive a competitive salary. This full-time position is available immediately.