Stopping your studies (contract termination)

In person or by registered letter

Should you no longer wish to take part in educational activities, you need to inform the Office for Student Administration and Study Programmes (Sint-Pietersnieuwstraat 33, 9000 Gent), either in person or by sending a registered letter.

Preferably you first have a conversation with the learning path counsellor.

Hand in your student card

When stopping your studies you need to hand in your student card and certificate of enrolment (if you have unused certificates). After handing in these items, your contract will be terminated.


During the same academic year you can enrol again (take up a new contract) provided that:

  • you meet the admission requirements
  • you have a letter of (deferred) admission for the study programme
  • you comply with regulations with regards to the period of enrolment

You need to pay

Terminating you contract does not mean that you do not need to pay the tuition fee. Not paying does not mean that your contract is automaticalley terminated. If you have not paid, or you have only paid a part of the tuition fee charged upon enrolment, UGent will continue to claim the outstanding amount after you have terminated your contract.

Not the same as stopping your exams

If you discontinue taking part in exams, it does not mean that you are terminating your contract. Discontinuing an examination session must be reported to the Examination Office at your Faculty and does not necessarily mean that you are stopping your studies.

Refund of Tuition Fees

If you are enrolled for a diploma contract for a Bachelor, Master (2nd or 3rd cycle), Specific Teacher Training, Preparatory or Linking Course, your tuition fee can be partly refunded in the following cases:

  • termination of your contract before 1 December tuition fee is refunded, except for the fixed amount
  • termination of contract from 1 December and before 1 March: you cannot get a refund for course units that belong to your first semester curriculum, one year-course units or integration course units – you can, however, get a tuition fee refund for the course units that belong to the second semester curriculum. The fixed amount is not refunded.
  • Termination of  your contract from 1 March : the full tuition fee must be paid and there is no refund.

The above is not applicable to:

  • termination of an exam contract with a view to obtaining a diploma or an exam contract with a view to obtaining a credit certificate, in all cases the tuition fee remains owed in full: i.e. in no case can there be any tuition fee waiver for first and/or second-term course units.
  • to some ManaMas and postgraduates for which special tuition fee is charged: here too, the tuition fee remains owed in full as a rule, unless the Faculty concerned should decide to allow a partial waiver in specific cases.
  • continuing education (permanent training), postgraduates and the academic initial teacher training programme.


If you are enrolled for the doctorate, the doctoral training programme, the predoctoral study programmes or have been given provisional enrolment for the doctorate, you will have your tuition fee refunded, except for the fixed amount, if you terminate their contract within four months following the date of (provisional) enrolment.

Social consequences

If you consider terminating your contract, bear in mind that you lose the statute of student at certain organisations (scholarship, health insurance, community...)

Terminating a Credit Contract and your learning account

Attention: even if you have correctly terminated your credit contract, you cannot recover your study points.

More information about your learning account.

Education and Examination Code, article 33