Application procedure before enrolment
- Holders of a foreign degree need to complete an admission procedure during which the academic aspects (equivalence of your degree, research proposal, language skills) will be evaluated. This procedure may take some time (discounting even the time spent gathering your documents and applying for a visa).
- Holders of a Belgian (or Luxemburg/Dutch) degree can apply through a simplified procedure.
In both cases a candidate needs to obtain the explicit commitment of a UGent supervisor.
After assessment of your application, Ghent University will inform you of the decision by sending you an official letter, signed by the Rector. With this letter of admission you will be able to enrol and to apply for a visa.
Enrolment as PhD student
All PhD researchers must enrol as student at the Registrar's Office at the start of their study, as well as re-enrol every following academic year (until graduation).
- In some cases candidates may be required to first successfully complete a predoctoral training programme
Joint PhD contracts can be established from the start of the PhD degree if a research student intends to carry out doctoral research at more than one institution for a considerable length of time, and with a supervisor in each of the institutions.
Enrolment for Doctoral School and Doctoral Training Programme
- If you are enrolled as a PhD student at Ghent University you automatically become a member of one of the Doctoral Schools. You will have to decide which Doctoral School best meets your research topic.
- All enrolled PhD students are also automatically enrolled for the Doctoral Training Programme Ghent University. That way you can take part in courses and activities. In some faculties this programme is mandatory.