Registration upon arrival (Student Card for Exchange Students)

Where? When?

Registrar's Office
Sint-Pietersnieuwstraat 33
9000 Ghent

Registration hours: Every weekday from 1pm - 16.45pm - Exceptionally open from 10-12am from Monday 6 February till Friday 17 February

Take a ticket

  1. Take a ticket at the computer in the entrance hall.
  2. Await your turn.
  3. When called, your ticket will appear on the screen.
  4. Go to the desk assigned to your ticket number (first floor on the left).


At times it can be really busy and the waiting times can be long. We would like to advise you to come close to opening time . It is possible that the ticket machine is closed sooner than closing time, or that a particular queue is closed sooner. If your queue is closed, please do not take a different ticket, but come back when the queues are open again. We greatly appreciate your patience, cooperation and understanding!


For registration, you will have to present the following 4 documents:

  1. The 'Letter of Invitation', issued by the International Relations Office of Ghent University
  2. certificate of registration for this academic year at your home university or your VALID student card for this academic year.
  3. Your passport or identity card
  4. A certificate of a valid health insurance:
    • or a  valid European Health Insurance Card (= blue card – only for EU-citizens)
    • or your application for health insurance at a 'ziekenfonds' in Belgium
  5. Also: bring your address in Ghent (if you already have one)

Please bring a paper version. Only documents in Dutch, French, German or English are accepted.

All duly registered students receive a Ghent University student card for the length of their stay. This card is the proof that you officially are an 'Exchange Student' at Ghent University. You need this card when taking exams or when going to the library or to one of the university restaurants. You can also get reductions in the cinema, museum, historic buildings,... Please make sure that you always carry it with you.

  • You will also receive a document (‘Certificate of registration as a guest student/exchange student’) that has to be handed in at the City Foreigners' Registration Office
  • You will also get a letter with your account details for the Internet/Minerva (login and password)
  • At the end of your registration a picture will be taken for your student card and you will receive the card

Before going back to your home university, be sure to pick up your 'transcript of records'. Your "Faculty Student Administration (FSA)" will provide this transcript.  The transcript of records mentions the courses you have followed, the ECTS-credits and the ECTS-grades you have obtained.

If you need to prolong your student card, please follow the 'Prolongation Procedure'