...for exchange students
Adding the final touches to the preparation of your stay at Ghent University? Heard of UGent's excellent reputation and want to find out yourself? Curious about what the city of Ghent has to offer? Or just browsing the possibilities?
Whatever your reasons, this page tries to offer all incoming exchange students information on educational, administrative and leisurely matters.
What is an exchange student?
- An exchange student is a student (i.e. officially registered at an institution for higher education) who temporarily lives in a foreign country and attends courses or is involved in other academic activities.
- The exchange period at UGent lasts a minimum of 1 month and a maximum of 12 months.
- The exchange student does NOT get a diploma from UGent. However, all academic results will be sent to his/her university abroad via the European Credit Transfer System (ECTS).
Preparing your stay
- Application procedure
- Learning Agreement: for questions about courses check the faculty webpages or contact the FCI-chairperson
- Language requirements
- Federal Public Service Foreign Affairs provides all information about visa requirements, including how to apply for a visa and an overview of embassies and consulates. : the
- Travel and transport
- Academic calendar
- Credit transfer: ECTS
Arriving in Ghent
- Registration at UGent: get your student card via the Central Student Administration
- Registration at the City of Ghent
- General information: exchange student adviser
- Academic matters: FCI
- Language courses
- Welcome Days
During your stay at Ghent University
- Erasmus Student Network (ESN)
- Faculty Committees for Internationalisation
- Prolongation of your stay
- Low Countries Studies
- Facilities (bike rent, job service, sport, restaurant, ...)
- Medical service and Students with special needs
- Other support services (emergency centre, IT helpdesk, ...)
- Getting around in Ghent
- Life in Ghent and Student organisations
- Contact information about UGent
- Education and Examination Code