Lecturer in the field of Culture and History of South Eastern Europe
- Last application date: Feb 22, 2013 05:00
- Department: LW21 - Department of Languages and Cultures
- Contract: statutair
- Occupancy rate: 100%
- Vacancy Type: zap
The Faculty of Arts & Philosophy invites applications for the full-time position of professor in the rank of Lecturer (Tenure Track system) in the Department of Languages and Cultures, taking effect on October 1, 2013. Responsibilities will include academic teaching, research and service in the field of Culture and History of South Eastern Europe, in particular of the Slavonic language communities.
- candidates are required to hold a doctor’s degree with a doctoral thesis in the relevant field of expertise (or an equivalent thereof);
- candidates are required to have at least two years of postdoctoral experience on the day of commencement;
- candidates are required to have research experience in the field of the culture and history of South Eastern Europe, as is evident from contributions to international conferences and publications in books and/or peer-reviewed journals;
- candidates are required to possess the necessary didactic, organizational and communicative skills for the teaching of courses on history and culture of South Eastern Europe, Central Europe and Russia in an academic context;
- an international ‘profile’ gained, for instance, through participation in research programmes at institutions other than one’s own, will be considered an asset.
Candidates are required to show their willingness to learn Dutch (insofar as they do not speak this language on the day of application).
The candidates are required to submit:
- an outline (max. 1500 words) explaining their views on research, teaching and administrative duties in relation to this vacancy;
- the required transcripts (copies of degrees).
- candidates will be short-listed on the basis of their curriculum vitae, bibliography, and the outline;
- short-listed applicants will be invited for an interview and required to present a short class (of twenty minutes), on the basis of which the final selection will be made.
This full-time position is a tenure-track appointment for a period of five years, at the end of which a tenure decision will be taken, depending on an overall evaluation.
At the Ghent University, the possibility of promotion in the rank of Lecturer and Senior Lecturer is linked to the timely achievement of predefined personalized goals.
For further information about this vacancy, applicants are welcome to contact Professor Andreas Niehaus, Head of Department (tel +32 (0)9 264 41 57 or mailto: Andreas.Niehaus@UGent.be).
Method of application
Applications should be sent by registered mail to:
The Rector of Ghent University
B-9000 Ghent (Belgium)
The standard application forms for Autonomous Academic Staff (“ZAP”) should be used, with required transcripts (copies of degrees) attached. Applications must be sent no later than February 22, 2013.
The application forms for Autonomous Academic Staff (“ZAP”) can be:
- requested at Ghent University, Department of Personnel and Organisation, Sint-Pietersnieuwstraat 25, 9000 Gent;
- requested via telephone: +32 (0)9 264 95 48 or +32 (0)9 264 31 28;
- downloaded from the internet: URL: http://www.ugent.be/nl/werken/aanwerving/formulieren/zap/formulier.doc/view.