FWO - Research Foundation Flanders: Clinical PhD Fellowship
The FWO supports fundamental scientific research, stimulates international cooperation and promotes equal opportunity.
The Clinical PhD Fellowship supports specialists (doctors, veterinary surgeons, dentists and pharmacists) who are employed in a full-time clinical role, to pursue fundamental clinical research. During the fellowship, the beneficiaries are released from clinical and academic duties in order to focus on their research. In this way, the gap between clinical research and clinical practice is narrowed.
Who can apply
- You are a doctor, veterinary surgeon, dentist or pharmacist working in Belgium.
- From the start to the end of the fellowship you are employed at an academic hospital or a university veterinary surgery affiliated to a university in the Flemish Community.
- You have received a certificate from your supervisor. This certificate states that you should be able to complete your PhD within the duration of the fellowship.
- You have not previously received a similar fellowship (not even in part).
Period: 2 years (part time), not renewable
How does it work?
- You contact a supervisor affiliated to a Flemish university
- The supervisor undertakes to properly coach and guide you as doctorandus.
- The supervisor writes a letter of recommendation.
- You complete your application online, deadline: 1st of February
- The FWO Expert Panels evaluate your application.
- The Expert Panels report to the Board of Trustees.
- The Board of Trustees decides on your appointment (start: 1st of October)
How much funding is involved
- The fellowship grant is half the salary paid by the university hospital or veterinary surgery, with a maximum of €35.000 per year.
- For a general practitioner, the grant equals the salary of a part-time assistant at the relevant university.