FWO - Research Foundation Flanders: Postdoctoral Fellowship
The FWO supports fundamental scientific research, stimulates international cooperation and promotes equal opportunity.
The postdoctoral fellowships are intended to support researchers who have only recently completed their PhD, in developing an independent, international research career.
Who can apply?
- You hold a PhD (the thesis defence must have taken place no later than 1 June preceding the fellowship)
- A Higher Education Faculty Qualification or a Special PhD is regarded as equivalent to a PhD when applying for a Postdoctoral Fellowship
- You have not previously received a similar fellowship (not even in part)
- You can apply maximum two times for the same fellowship
- Application round 2015-2016 (deadline 1st of February 2015): The Postdoctoral Fellowships are open to candidates from all nationalities who are under the age of 36, or who have obtained their Ph.D. degree no more than 6 years before the start of the fellowship. (see FWO regulationsfor details)
- Application round 2016-2017 (deadline 1st of February 2016): On June 1, you must have obtained your PhD no longer than 3 years ago (+ 1 year per pregnancy or parental leave (see FWO regulations for details))
- Those who apply for the FIRST time for a PhD fellowship in the 2015-2016 application round, but whose application is rejected, can exceptionally apply a second time in the 2016-2017 application round, based on the criteria set out in the "old" article 4 (see bottom of the FWO regulations)
Period: 3 years, renewable once
How does it work?
- You contact a head of a research unit at a Flemish university
- You propose a list of 10 referees (refer to the FWO regulations to see who is eligible)
- The head of the research is invited to write a recommendation letter
- You complete your application online, deadline: 1st of February
- The Expertpanels compile a ranking, which will be used as basis by the Flemish universities to formulate a funding proposal
- The Board of Trustees endorses the proposals. (Start: 1st of October)
- You can ask for feedback on the decision.
How much funding is involved?
- Salary scale: minimum € 29.069,73 - maximum € 45.317,25
- Fixed bench fee: € 4.000/year from FWO
Departmens of Research Affairs - Research Co-ordination Office