FWO - PhD Fellowships for applied research (former IWT grants)
The FWO supports fundamental and basic scientific research, stimulates international cooperation and promotes equal opportunity.
The FWO Strategic basic research PhD grants are available to young researches who intend to obtain a PhD degree by research at a Flemish institution. The research has to be aimed at economical valorisation on the long term.
Two terms of 2 years
Who can apply?
- Master degree graduation no longer than 5 years ago
- Master degree from EEA (EU, Iceland, Norway, Liechtenstein) or Switzerland
- Master degree with at least "distinction"
- No more than 18 months of scientific work experience when the scholarship starts
- Your promoter: ZAP, ERC grant holder or promoter of Odysseus II project
How does it work?
- Online application (in English): Deadline 15 September 2017 (17:00)
- Your promoter writes a letter of recommendation
- Oral defense to an international expert panel (in English)
- Scoring on 3 criteria: Candidate, project and application potential
- Decision by Board of Trustees: 15 December 2016
- Start of scholarship: 1 January 2018
How much funding is involved?
- Monthly scholarship: min. 1.860,55 EUR / month
- Bench fee: 3.720 EUR / year