FWO – Research Foundation Flanders: Special PhD Fellowship
The FWO supports fundamental scientific research, stimulates international cooperation and promotes equal opportunity.
The special PhD fellowship enables persons not employed within scientific research to complete a PhD within one year. Applicants must be in possession of a "temporary leave" certificate issued by their current employer.
Who can apply
- You are of Belgian nationality or belong to one of the member states of the EU, the EEA or Switzerland.
- You hold a Master's degree.
- You are permanently employed.
- You are not professionally involved in scientific research.
- Your employer is willing to give you temporary leave or unpaid leave for 1 year. You are entitled to return to your job after the leave ends.
- You relinquish any secondary activity and associated remuneration.
- You have not previously received an FWO fellowship (not even in part).
- Clinicians cannot apply for a special PhD fellowship. They can apply for a clinical PhD fellowship.
Period: 1 year, not renewable
How does it work?
- You contact a supervisor affiliated to a Flemish university
- The supervisor undertakes to properly coach and guide you as doctorandus.
- The supervisor is invited by the FWO to write a letter of recommendation.
- You complete your application online, deadline: 1st of February
- Your application is submitted to the FWO Expert Panels.
- The Expertpanels report to the Board of Trustees.
- The Board of Trustees decides on your appointment (start 1st of September)
How much funding is involved
Net scholarship amount: identical to the last net salary of the main activity