Research Foundation - Odysseus Initiative
Recently the Research Foundation Flanders announced the new call of the Odysseusprogramme on its website.
At Ghent University the call 2017 is open for Group I and Group II candidates:
- Group I: Internationally recognized researchers with an established career as leader of a research group.
- The host institution will appoint the researchers as autonomous academic staff members
- A typical project budget will be between 400k€ and 1.500 k€ per year (the projects will have a duration of 5 years)
- For this call, candidates from the UGent can apply for a maximum bugdet of 3.000.000 euro for a 5 year period
- Group II: Researchers who have at least 3 years post-doctoral experience and whose work has convinced leading colleagues in the field that they have potential to develop a leading international position.
- The host institution will appoint them as postdoctoral employees for a period of 5 years
- The support for this set-up ranges from 100k€ to 200 k€ per year (the project will have a duration of 5 years
The deans were asked to provide a list with potential candidates to the rector on the 28thof April 2017 at the latest. Candidatures must be nominated by the dean after approval of the Faculty Council. Only candidates nominated by the deans will be considered for selection. Contact your Dean’s Office in time for the internal deadline of your faculty.
Each candidate (Group I and Group II) needs to prepare a dossier with the following elements:
- Curriculum vitae of the applicant
- A written confirmation that the applicant had the intention to come over to Ghent University to continue his/her research career
- A research plan (limited to five pages) describing the research activities that were planned for the next 5 years at Ghent University including a detailed research budget needed
- A list of needs on research infrastructure, laboratory space and office space and other facilities in order to be able to start up the research activities described in the research plan
- Only for Group I candidates: A plan for the integration of the applicant into the faculty structure with reflections on research, education and services to the society and with a description of the future interactions between the Odysseus applicant and the existing research groups.
No later than the 1st of June 2017 the Research Council will select the candidates who may prepare a full proposal for the FWO.
Only these selected candidates will receive further instructions about the final application procedure.
The internal deadline for these final applications will be the 4th of September 2017.
Department of Reseacht Affairs – Research Co-ordination Office
- Lieve Huys, +32 (0)9 264 30 28, Lieve.Huys@UGent.be