FWO - Research Foundation Flanders: PhD Fellowship
The FWO supports fundamental scientific research, stimulates international cooperation and promotes equal opportunity.
The PhD Fellowship (“mandaat aspirant”) is a funding channel to prepare young and promising researchers to complete their PhD.
Who can apply?
- You are of Belgian nationality or belong to one of the member states of the EU, the EEA or Switzerland. Non-EU candidates must have a basic degree from one of the countries of the EU or the EER or Switzerland
- You hold a Master's degree
- If, on October 1, you are older than 31 years, you must have obtained this degree no longer than 5 years ago (see regulations for details)
- You have not previously received an FWO fellowship (not even in part)
- You can apply maximum two times for the same fellowship
- On 1 October you have three years scientific seniority at most
Period: 2 years, renewable once
How does it work?
- You contact a supervisor affiliated to a Flemish university
- The supervisor undertakes to properly coach and guide you as doctorandus
- The supervisor is asked by the FWO to write a letter of recommendation
- You complete your application online, deadline: 1st of February
- The applications are submitted to the FWO Expertpanels
- The Expertpanels compile a ranking, which will be used as basis by the Flemish universities to formulate a funding proposal
- The Board of Trustees decides on the appointment (start: 1st of October)
- You can ask for feedback on the decision
How much funding is involved?
- Net scholarship amount: minimum €1.860,55
- Fixed bench fee: €3.720/year from FWO
Department of Research Affairs - Research Co-ordination Office