An accident is classified as an 'occupational/industrial accident' when it happened either:
- during your regular work-related activities
- on your regular way from home to work
- or on your regular way from work to home
The procedures differ according to your contract type and/or staff category. For instance, UGent PhD scholarship recipients are insured for work-related accidents via a private insurance policy which UGent takes out especially for them. Our staff is insured via the Flemish Community. If you do not have a UGent contract, contact your external financier.
As a general rule, these are the steps you must take:
- In case of absence, notify your supervisor (webpage Absence due to illness)
- Contact your personnel file officer (the person whom you signed your contract with) at the Personnel Department. You will be expected to fill out a number of forms (e.g. medical form to assess the severity of your injuries, insurance forms etc.).
- Once the accident has been recognised as a occupational accident, reimbursement of medical costs will be possible. Note: material damage will not be reimbursed.