Checklist: international staff at Ghent University
Arriving in Ghent...
- Check out the webpages on where Ghent University is situated and what means of transportation are available. During your travel, be careful that you do not lose (or that nobody steals) your (hand) luggage. The department migth also have arranged for a pick-up service.
- Depending on your time of arrival, you can spend your first night in Ghent at the accommodation that you have chosen or that has been arranged for you. If applicable, sign your housing contract. If applicable, get acquainted with the code of conduct for the university halls of residence.
- Depending on your time of arrival, as new staff you will be expected to first report to the faculty (supervisor), in other cases you may have to present yourself at the International Staff Office to sign your contract.
- Once your registration is completed (and a photograph is taken), you will receive your personnel ID card. Visitors receive a visitor's card via the department. Keep this card with you at all time. You can use all UGent facilities, such as the Sport Centre, student restaurants, bike rent, library etc.
- Your department will also arrange for other access cards and/or keys.
- All international guests staying in Ghent have to report to the Foreigners' Registration Office within eight working days after arrival. Registration at the host city consists of three steps: (1) registration of your arrival, (2) confirmation of residence and collection of your residence permit, (3) deregistration at departure. Either the International Staff Office will start up this registration for you or you yourself will have to take care of this procedure.
- Staff members will be expected to open a bank account, especially those receiving a salary from Ghent University. At some banks, you have to present your residence permit and/or UGent ID card.
- Take care of your insurance policies. You are legally obliged to have a health insurance during your stay in Belgium. It might be clever to read up on health matters.
- Once registered, you will receive an UGent account for all your ICT needs. Check out your webmail, Minerva and Athena platforms.