Equity in health care
Welcome on the website of the research Group “Equity in health care”!
This site gives a short overview of recent research activities of the research group. For more information on a specific project, click on the blue links.
Focus on health care use
International research shows a clear social gradient in health care use, both for preventive and curative services. The work of the research group includes:
- the in Belgium
- the use of health care services versus welfare services by people living in poverty
- the at the other hand
Figuur nog te ontvangen
Research on the structure of health care services includes:
- practice improvement projects in primary care in Flanders
- the association between European primary health care systems and equity indicators
- the impact of pay-for-performance schemes on equity in health care
Research on the process of care delivery includes:
- the attitude of health care providers towards lower SES patients
- the social gradient in doctor-patient communication and the doctor’s attitude and knowledge
Research on the outcomes of care includes:
- the social gradient in patient satisfaction in Europe
- the social gradient in patients’ expectations in doctor-patient communication
Focus on individual social characteristics, community social processes and health equity
International research has linked social characteristics and social processes (e.g. social capital, social cohesion) to different health outcomes and health care use.
The buffering effect of social characteristics and social processes in the relation between socio-economic status and health is investigated in a four-year research project funded by the Flemish Research Fund.