Prof. Dr. Jan Orbie
Prof. Dr. J. Orbie is the Director of the Centre for EU Studies. He is an Associate Professor at the Department of Political Science at Ghent University in Belgium, where he lectures several courses in the Master for EU Studies at Ghent University, including Theories of European Integration, European External Policies, and EU Trade Politics. His research focuses on the international policies of the EU, in particular EU trade and development policies. He is the author of numerous chapters, articles and edited books on EU trade politics and development, the EU’s global social policy, and EU democracy promotion. He is also supervising several research projects in the field of EU external relations. Prof. Jan Orbie is Erasmus coordinator of the Department of Political Science, and a member of the Research Council of Ghent University.
- External Relations of the European Union, in particular external trade and development policies, Europe’s global social role, EU democracy promotion, the EU in international institutions, and conceptual debates around Europe’s global role
- European Union politics, in particular critical and normative perspectives
- International trade and development policies
- The substance of EU democracy promotion: concepts and cases, Palgrave Macmillan, 2015 (ed.) (with Anne Wetzel)
- Europe's Global Role. External Policies of the European Union, Ashgate, 2008 (hardback) and 2009 (paperback) (ed.)
- Beyond Market Access for Economic Development: EU-Africa Relations in Transition, Routledge, 2009 (ed.) (with Gerrit Faber) (flyer)
- The European Union and the Social Dimension of Globalization: How the EU influences the world, Routledge, 2008 (hardback) and 2011 (paperback) (ed.) (with Lisa Tortell)
- European Union Trade Politics and Developing Countries: Everything But Arms Unravelled, Routledge, 2007 (ed.) (with Gerrit Faber) (flyer)
- Theorie van de Europese Integratie, Acco, 2009
- The Europeanisation of development policy, European Politics and society (2016, with Maurizio Carbone)
- Theoretical perspectives on EU Trade Policy, Journal of Contemporary European Research (2013, with Bart Kerremans)
- The substance of EU democracy promotion, European Foreign Affairs Review, 2011, 16, 5 (with Anne Wetzel) (pdf)
- The European Union’s Global Social Role, Journal of European Social Policy, Symposium section, 2009, 2 (with Lisa Tortell)
- The Social Dimension of European Union External Trade Relations¸ European Foreign Affairs Review, 2009, 5 (with F. Bossuyt, M. Martins Gistelinck, B. Kerremans and L. Tortell) (pdf)
Articles and book chapters
- The normative distinctiveness of the EU in international development: stepping out of the shadow of the World Bank? Development Policy Review (with Fabienne Bossuyt, Petra Debusscher, Karen Del Biondo, Sarah Delputte, Vicky Reynaert and Joren Verschaeve), available online
- EU trade policy: persistent liberalisation, contentious protectionism, Journal of European Integration (with Yelter Bollen and Ferdi De Ville), available online
- 'Normative versus market power Europe? The EU-India trade agreement', Asia Europe Journal (with Sangeeta Khorana), available online
- 'Humaitarian Aid as an Integral Part of the European Union's External Action', JCCM (with Peter Van Elsuweghe and Fabienne Bossuyt), available online.
- 'The EU and donor coordination on the ground', EJDR (with Sarah Delputte), available online.
- 'The European Commission's implementation of budget support and the Government Incentive Tranche in Ethiopia', TWQ (with Karen Del Biondo), available online.
- 'Theorizing European Union Trade Politics', JCER (with Bart Kerremans), available online.
- 'Sanctions under the EU's Generalized System of Preferences', CP (with Clara Portela), available online in special issue on EU trade-development.
- Two publications on the European Commission's neoliberal trade discourse since the crisis (with Ferdi De Ville) in BJPIR and EIOP.
- 'The substance of EU democracy promotion', EFAR, publications available online.
- ‘Security and Development in EU External Relations: Converging, but in which direction?’, in S. Biscop & R. Whitman (eds) Handbook of European Union Security, Palgrave, 2012 (with Karen Del Biondo and Stefan Oltsch)
- ‘The EU as an actor in development: Just another donor, European norm maker, or eclipsed by superpower temptations?’, in Grimm, S., Makhan, D. & Gänzle, S. (eds) The European Union and Global Development – An Enlightened Superpower in the Making?, Palgrave, 2012
- ‘The European Union in the Gx System: representation and coordination’, in K.E. Jörgensen (ed.) Europe in Global Governance: Performance, Reform, Power, Routledge, 2012 (with Peter Debaere)
- ‘Promoting Labour Standards Through Trade: Normative Power or Regulatory State Europe?’, in R. Whitman (ed.) Normative Power Europe: Empirical and theoretical perspectives, Basingstoke: Palgrave, 2011, pp. 160-183.
- ‘Challenges to Coherence: exploring the European Union’s role in the International Labour Organization’, in J. Lieb, N. von Ondarza, D. Schwarzer (eds) The EU in International Fora - Lessons for the Union’s External Representation after Lisbon, Baden-Baden: Nomos, pp. 195-174. (with Bregt Saenen)
- ‘Everything but Arms’ in the European Union’s international trade and aid agenda, Journal of Common Market Studies, September 2009, vol. 47, no. 4, pp. 767-789. (with Gerrit Faber) (abstract)
- ‘Exporting the European social model: broadening ambitions, increasing coherence?’, Journal of European Social Policy, 19, 2, 2009, pp. 99-104. (with Lisa Tortell)
- ‘The European Union’s Trade Policy Response to the Crisis: Paradigmatic departure or Business as usual?’, European Integration Online Papers, 2011, vol. 15, no. 2. (with Ferdi De Ville) (pdf)
- ‘With Map and Compass on Narrow Paths and Through Shallow Waters: Discovering the Substance of EU Democracy Promotion’, European Foreign Affairs Review, 2011, vol. 16, no. 5, pp. 705-726. (with Anne Wetzel) (pdf)
- ‘The New GSP+ Beneficiaries: Ticking the Box or Truly Consistent with ILO Findings?’, in European Foreign Affairs Review, 2009, vol. 14, no. 5, pp. 663-681. (with Lisa Tortell) (pdf)
- ‘Revolution in times of Eurosklerosis? The case of the first Lomé Convention’, in L’Europe en Formation, no. 343-354, automne-hiver 2009, pp. 167-181. (with Lotte Drieghe)
- ‘The Social Dimension of Globalization and EU Development Policy: Promoting Core Labour Standards and Corporate Social Responsibility’, Journal of European Integration/Revue d’Intégration Européenne, 30, 3, 2008, pp. 459-477 (with Olufemi Babarinde) (pdf)
- ‘The European Union and the Commodity Debate: From Trade to Aid’, in Review of African Political Economy, vol. 34, nr. 112, 2007, pp. 297-311. (pdf)
- ‘Civilian Power Europe. Review of the original and current debates’, in Cooperation and Conflict, vol. 41, nr. 1, 2006, pp. 123-128. (pdf)
- ‘Recent evolutions in European Union development aid: More Europe, more aid, less development?’, in Studia Diplomatica, vol. LVIII, nr. 4, 2006, pp 19-40. (with Helen Versluys)
- ‘European Union Trade Policy and a Social Clause: a Question of Competences?’, in Politique Européenne, vol. 17, automne 2005, pp. 159-187. (with Hendrik Vos and Liesbeth Taverniers)
* a complete overview of Jan Orbie's publications can be found here.
- Theories of European Integration
- European External Policies
- Current Issues in EU Politics (with Hendrik Vos)
- EU Trade Politics (with Ferdi De Ville), Jean Monnet Module
The substance of EU democracy promotion
EU-iPodS, Jean Monnet Information and Research Activity 2011-12
Europe’s global social role and the social dimension of EU trade policy
- BOF Research project Deborah Martens on the impact of EU trade on social development in Latin America
- The EU's Global Social Role (EU-SDG, Jean Monnet Information and Research Activity 2008-09)
- FWO research project Lore Van de Putte on the social dimension of EU Trade Relations
- FWO research project Bregt Saenen on EU-ILO relations
- Lotus (Erasmus Mundus) project Yuan Hang on the social dimension of EU-China relations
The EU as a trade and development actor
- Political conditionality in EU-Africa relations (FWO research project Karen Del Biondo, finished 2012)
- Coordination in EU development policy (VLIR-VLADOC research project Sarah Delputte)
- The position and impact of the EU as a development actor in the OECD-DAC (BOF research project Joren Verschaeve)
- Gender mainstreaming in EU development policy (post-doctoral scholarship BOF & FWO Petra Debusscher)
- Humanitarian aid policy of the EU (BOF project Helen Versluys, finished 2008)
- EU trade policy in the shadow of the WTO (Vlaams Steunpunt project Ferdi De Ville, finished 2011)
- The trade negotiations on Lomé I (BOF project Lotte Drieghe, finished 2011)
The EU and international institutions
- EU-ILO relations (FWO research project Bregt Saenen, finished 2014)
- EU-OECD relations (BOF research project Joren Verschaeve, finished 2015)
- EU-G8/G20 relations (BOF research project Peter Debaere, main supervisor Dries Lesage)
The EU’s and the near abroad
- The role of the Council Presidency in Eastern Neighbourhood policies (FWO research project Bruno Vandecasteele)
- The EU mission and the reality in Kosovo (Basileus, Erasmus Mundus project Vjosa Musliu)
- Relations EU and Ukraine (BOF project Guillaume Van der Loo, main supervisor Peter Van Elsuweghe)
- The EU as a state building actor in Kosovo (Basileus project Labinot Greicevci, finished 2011)
- The EU and the South Caucasus (BOF project Syuzanna Vasilyan, finished 2010)
- The EU and the Mediterranean (BOF project Vicky Reynaert, finished 2012)