Protistology & Aquatic Ecology (PAE)
- The research group for Protistology and Aquatic Ecology (PAE) of the Department of Biology of the Ghent University studies the diversity, taxonomy and biogeography of protists.
- The group is involved in many interuniversity, national and international monitoring and research projects.
- We maintain a ISO9001 certified Diatom Culture Collection
- The PAE research facilities consist of a.o. a scanning electron microscope, an hplc, a GC/MS, culture rooms, ... and provides service to other labs and institutes.
- Population genetics
- Speciation and (cryptic) species diversity
- Niche divergence and evolution
- Competition and facilitation
- Molecular basis of the diatom life cycle
- Species screening and growth optimization for aquaculture
- Reconstruction of past climate and environmental change
Publications in the spotlight
- Metabolomics Enables the Structure Elucidation of a Diatom Sex Pheromone.
Gillard, J., et al
(2013) Angew. Chem. Int. Ed., 52: 854–857 (full text)
- AUREOCHROME1a-Mediated Induction of the Diatom-Specific CyclindsCYC2Controls the Onset of Cell Division in Diatoms (Phaeodactylum tricornutum) (2013)
Marie J.J. Huysman; Antonio E. Fortunatod; Michiel Matthijs. et. al.
(2013) The Plant Cell 25: 215–228. (full text)
The BCCM/DCG public collection is the only culture collection worldwide specialized in diatoms, the most species-rich and ecologically important algal group. All strains are publicly available for the scientific community and are distributed as research or reference material to scientific institutions and companies.