FAQ Incoming international students

Information regarding quarantine for international students coming to Ghent University. This webpage will be updated regularly.

COVID-19 related information

Where can I find COVID 19 related information from the Belgian authorities?


Where can I find COVID 19 related information from Ghent University?



What Covid measures are currently in place in the city of Ghent?

Hygiene measures are essential (washing hands; sneezing or coughing in the elbow).

Keep sufficient distance from each other (minimum 1.5 m).

Wearing a face mask is mandatory in certain situations (see webpage below).


More information and updates

Information regarding quarantine for international students

What do I have to do before entering Belgium?

Anyone returning/coming to Belgium must complete the Public Health Passenger Locator Form within 48 hours prior to arrival in Belgium. The form can be found here.


Do I have to self-isolate and/or give a proof of a negative COVID 19 test?

The Belgian authorities have colored the world map with 3 color codes according to the COVID 19 contamination risk. The list of European member states and/or countries belonging to the Schengen zone is now divided into red, orange and green zones. Third countries are ALL red zones.

These zones are regularly updated and published on the Foreign Affairs website :

  • Red zones
    • People who come/return from these zones will be treated as “high-risk contacts”, which means that they will have to be tested and go into quarantine = self-isolation (see further). This is a legal obligation.
  • Orange zones
    • People who come/return from these zones will be asked to undergo testing and go into self-isolation (see further). This is a recommendation.
  • Green zones
    • When coming/returning from a green zone, you do not have to take any additional precautions.


Which rules should I respect during my self-isolation?

  • Avoid using public transport in Belgium. If this is not possible take all necessary measures (wearing a mask, disinfection, 1.5 m distance)
  • The period of self-isolation starts as soon as you arrive in Belgium
  • Self-isolation means that you stay indoors (including use of a garden or terrace) at a single address.
  • During your self-isolation contact with other people should be avoided as much as possible. Keep a distance of 1.5m at all times.
  • Towels, bed linen and eating or drinking utensils should not be shared
  • Use a separate toilet and bathroom or thoroughly disinfect sanitary facilities before and after use
  • Do not self-isolate at a location where people live at increased risk of severe illness from COVID-19 (e.g. people older than 65, people with a serious underlying medical condition such as severe heart, lung or kidney disease and people with decreased immunity).
  • Receiving visitors is not allowed during self-isolation.
  • Working and going to school is not allowed. Teleworking/learning is allowed.
  • Stay indoors during self-isolation. You may only leave your home for the following essential trips and you must wear a (fabric) face mask:
    • Visiting your doctor or for urgent medical care;
    • Purchasing basic necessities, such as food and medicines
    • Settling urgent legal/financial issues e.g. opening a bank account


I want to finalise my enrolment at Ghent University and arrange my insurance quickly after arrival. Self-isolation will make this difficult. What do I have to do?

Please note that all degree students should complete their enrolment online by contacting the Registrar’s Office. Please mail your enrolment request as soon as possible to enrol@ugent.be. It is not necessary to wait until you have arrived in Ghent to send your request.

Upon arrival in Ghent we will welcome you in a temporary (01/09/2020 - 18/09/2020) outdoor “Welcome Village” where health insurance, housing check-in and other things can be arranged in one location. Students not staying in Ghent (during their quarantine) should contact international@ugent.be to make specific arrangements.


I have rented a room/flat in the University Halls of residence, what measures are taken so that I can self-isolate myself?

All necessary hygienic measures are taken by the University Halls of residence and in the individual rooms. A microwave oven and some household goods (cutlery, glass, plates, etc.) will be provided so that you can go through your self-isolation for the first two weeks. All rooms have their own sanitary facilities and fridge as well.

As you will be in self-isolation, the shared facilities are not open for you.

Please check the webpage of our housing office.


I have rented a room/flat on the private housing market, what measures are taken so that I can self-isolate myself?

You have to contact your landlord in order to see what extra measures are to be taken.


Where can I take a COVID 19 test?

If you are staying in Ghent, you will be tested in the testing facility at the Welcome Village (untill 18/09/2020) or by the student doctors (after 18/09/2020). You will receive all information in due time upon arrival. If you are staying in another locality, you can contact a local doctor to arrange for a test.


What happens after being tested?

You stay in quarantine.

If you test negative for COVID-19, you will remain 14 days in quarantine.

If you have tested positive for COVID-19 after the first test, you must stay in self-isolation for at least 7 days and follow the instructions of the doctor who will continue to monitor your health. The contact tracers will contact you to identify all of your close contacts and will then follow up with them.


I want to come earlier in order to self-isolate so that I can start the academic year in time but I cannot use my room/flat yet

You are advised to look for an alternative like a youth hostel, a hotel... Depending on availability, University Halls of residence might be able to offer you the possibility to start your stay earlier (only if you already have a reservation in the University Halls of residence). In case you wish to advance the start of your stay, forward your request immediately to accommodatie@ugent.be. Study programmes are aware of the fact that you might not be attending classes at the start of the academic year.


I have rented a room/flat in the University Halls of residence, what general measures are taken?

Coronavirus measures and guidelines are in force in the University Halls of residence. The university trusts you to comply with the measures and guidelines in order to take care of yourself and those around you. Please visit following website.


I’m coming from a green zone, but I have a stop-over in an airport located in a red zone. Will I be considered as a “red zone” student?

No, stop-overs less than 48 hours are not taken into account.


How about health insurance?

All international students are obliged to have a health insurance during your stay in Belgium. 


Please consult your private health insurance before you leave on whether you are covered for covid-19 related matters.
It may be a good idea to leave with a negative covid test.

If you are a student moving to Belgium from outside the EU, we strongly recommend arranging travel insurance for the first month. Travel insurance plans usually cover your medical and urgent dental fees, as well as exceptional events such as repatriation and medical transport.

Please read this information carefully

Upon arrival, all international students will have the opportunity to sign up with Partena in the Welcome Village (on 1 + 14-16 September).

General FAQ incoming international students

Where can I find general welcome information?  

Please check our Welcome Guide International Students 2020-2021 for more general information. You will receive a printed copy in our Welcome Village.


Where do I go upon my arrival in Gent?

The International Support Team and the Housing Department will welcome you at our Welcome Village.

Where? Stalhof 6, 9000 Gent. Route


I am arriving after September 18. Where can I go when the Welcome Village is closed?

Students arriving after September 18 should meet up with the International Support Team at Het Pand, Onderbergen 1, in Ghent. We welcome students from Monday September 21 till Friday October 2, every day between 9 and 12 am.

At Het Pand you:

  • Receive a totebag
  • Pick up your student card as an exchange students. The student card of degree students will be sent to their address. Please make sure your correct Belgian address is in Oasis.
  • Sign your arrival form, if you are an Erasmus student or if this is necessary for your home university.
  • Receive information on covid-19, quarantine and testing.

Our colleagues from ESN, Partena, and the Migration Desk will not be present at Het Pand. Information about these organizations can be found in our Welcome Guide or you can contact them directly.


I am arriving after 18 September. Where can I go for the covid-19 test?

The testing center in the Welcome Village is closed after September 18. We're setting up a new system for international students. More information will follow soon.



Where can I pick up my student card?

At the Welcome Village.

Where? Stalhof 6, 9000 Gent. Route


How do I enrol?

All degree students need to complete their enrolment online by contacting the Registrar's Office. Please mail your enrolment request as soon as possible to . It is not necessary to wait until you have arrived in Ghent to send your request.


Where can I find my proof of enrolment?

You can find all documents related to your enrolment in MyOasis

You can find the registration/enrolment proof there as well.


How can I get my UGent mail account?

Due to Corona restrictions, your enrolment will be done back office this year. As soon when we have enrolled you back office, you receive an e-mail with a link to activate your Ghent University Account.

More information on your account and its settings


I am an exchange student. Where can I have my confirmation of arrival signed?

At the Welcome Village.
Where? Stalhof 6, 9000 Gent. Route


Where can I find accommodation?

Our housing department (accommodatie@ugent.be) can help you with the search for a room.

Rooms for semester 1 are fully booked at the moment, but there may be cancellations, so please check the website and do your application.


A good way to start looking on the private market, is to check out the offers on https://kot.gent.be (please find the translation button in the right hand corner)


Where can I find my faculty?

Information on the faculties


Where can I find the International Support Team?

At the Welcome Village.
Where? Stalhof 6, 9000 Gent. Route

From September 21, the International Support Team is back at its usual location:

Het Pand, Onderbergen 1, 9000 Gent.


I missed the welcome weeks, where can I get the information and documents + goodie bag?

Contact the International Support Team (international@ugent.be) and make an appointment.

From September 21, you find the International Support Team at their office at Het Pand, Onderbergen 1, 9000 Gent.


I am an exchange student. Where can I go to change my learning agreement/curriculum?

For all questions about academic matters (learning agreement, courses, exams, etc.) you can contact the faculty international officer of the faculty you are applying to. You can find their contact details on their website

Please contact the 'FCI administrator'.


Can I take online classes?

When you are enrolled and you activated your UGent account, you can access Ufora where you will be able to take the available online classes. Please note that the classes have to be in your curriculum.


How do I connect to the UGentNet?



How and where can we print?

In the city there are many copy centers.

More information on the UGent facilities for printing, copying and scanning


Where do I go to register in the City of Ghent?

Please find all information on the website of the Migration Desk of the City of Ghent.

Please note that registration can be done online (link above).
If you are in quarantine at a different address than where you’ll register your stay in Ghent, please wait until the end of your quarantine to start-up the registration process.

The Migration Desk of the City of Ghent will be present at the Welcome Village on certain moments.


Where can I open a Belgian bank account?

The University of Ghent has a partnership with ING Bank Belgium, office Kouter.

You find this office at Kouter 173, 9000 GENT.

At the moment ING Bank Belgium, office Kouter only works on an appointment basis. You can schedule an appointment by sending an e-mail to gent.kouter@ing.be. Share your phone number within your appointment request so that you can be contacted.

Appointments are made from Monday till Friday between 09 AM and 12 PM and between 2 PM and 4 PM.

To request an ING bank account, you will need the following documents. These documents can be sent attached to your appointment request to speed up the process of opening an account:

  • passport and/or your foreign identity card
  • letter of admission in the university (PDF file)
  • rental contract
  • registration at the immigration service of the city of Ghent, if you received it already (annex PDF file)


Can I take language classes in the University Language Centre?

Yes! We would love to welcome you in one of our (mainly) online classes! Would you like to find out more?

Visit our website or take a look at this flyer (click on ‘language courses for international students’).

Interested in learning Dutch? Watch this video of fellow students and this video to meet your teachers already!


I feel unhappy/lonely during my quarantine. Can I speak to someone? What can I do?

You can contact one of our student psychologists/counselors at or 09/331.00.31
Please check some tips


I will not be able to attend classes due to quarantine

Are you in quarantine due to your return from a high-risk area (red or orange zone) or due to contact with an infected person? If there are compulsory educational activities during the quarantine period, you can apply for a special status. You need a certificate from a doctor or from the International Relations Office (if you are a newcomer). You can receive this certificate at the Welcome Village or upon request at the International Relations Office.
You have to submit an application for special status based on exceptional social or individual circumstances.