Information regarding travel, COVID-19 testing and vaccination for international students

Update 04/01/2022

Where can I find information about travelling to and from Belgium?

Travelling within the EU+ (= the 27 EU Member States + Norway, Iceland, Liechtenstein, Switzerland) is different than travelling to and from non EU+ countries.

The travel policies may change rapidly in Belgium, the EU+ countries and worldwide.

Please check

  • the travel and entry measures of the Belgian government. Measures are different depending on your country of departure, but they may also be adapted to your place of residence in Belgium.
  • the travel advice from your government for Belgium or for another country of destination
  • with the Belgian Embassy/Consulate in your country of departure
  • the information on travel restrictions to and EU+ countries

Where can I find information on the current general COVID-19 measures in Belgium?

The government has set rules to stop the spread of coronavirus. You find information here.

Where can I find information regarding the COVID-19 measures at Ghent University?

Check relevant information for staff and students

Where can I do a COVID-19 test in Belgium upon arrival?

  • Your PLF form is being reviewed. What happens then?
  • If you are at high risk of infection (arriving from a red zone) , you will receive 3 text messages from the number 8810 or 8811.
  • The first text message will tell you that you must go into quarantine on arrival (normal duration 10 days, may be completed after the second negative test from day 7) and must be tested with a PCR test. The day of arrival in Belgium is considered as day 0.
  • The 2nd text message follows at most 24 hours after arrival in Belgium and contains a quarantine certificate and a 16-digit "corona test prescription code" to have yourself tested (with a PCR test) on day 1 after your return. You can make an appointment for a test via  this online booking tool. You can opt for a testing centre of your choice or choose for the UZ Ghent University Hospital Test Centre
  • The 3rd text message you will receive on day 5 after your return home, contains a new 16-digit "corona test prescription code" to get you tested from day 7 after the day you got home. You have to make a new appointment.
  • You will receive your results.

Are you not receiving a text message when you would expect to (after travelling in a red zone)? Please contact 02 214 19 19 so that your situation can be reviewed. If necessary, text messages with attestation and test code(s) can be sent again.

Is the COVID-19 test for free?

The test is free of charge for UGent students whit a valid Belgian health insurance

  • who have had a high-risk contact according to contact tracers of UGent or the government,
  • who are returning from a red zone abroad
  • who need a test before an admission or procedure in hospital
  • who have COVID-19 symptoms

Students without valid Belgian health insurance pay the cost of the lab analysis (€ 47.18) + € 31,93 administration cost at the consultation itself but can possibly get it refunded through their own health insurance.

Other students who suspect that they are at risk of COVID-19 infection can have themselves tested at UZ Gent on their own initiative. In that case, the cost (47.18 euros) will not be reimbursed by the health insurance.

What if I have tested positive?

If you have tested positive for COVID-19, please  strictly follow the recommendations of the student doctor / your general practitioner.

Which vaccines are approved by Belgium?

The following COVID-19 vaccines are recognised by Belgium:

  • EMA (European Medicines Agency) certified vaccines
    • Pfizer/BioNTech (Comirnaty)
    • Moderna
    • AstraZeneca/Oxford (Vaxzevria)
    • Janssen
  • Covishield

If you have further questions about this, please check the official webpage or consult a medical professional/student doctor.

In Belgium COVID-19 vaccination is a right and not an obligation. For more information please check here

I have not yet been (fully) vaccinated or I received a non-EU approved vaccine. Can I get my EU/Belgian approved vaccine in Belgium? 

Yes this is possible.

  • If you will stay longer than 3 months in Belgium
    • You need a BIS number or a (Belgian) National Registration number (=rijksregisternummer) to make an appointment (see below)
    • You can make an appointment for vaccination by calling the vaccination hotline (+329 210 10 44) or with the assistance of the student doctor (+329 264 70 20 between 9 am – 12 am) or a general practitioner of your choice.

Can I receive a booster vaccination?

Yes this is possible.

  • If you will stay/or have stayed longer than 3 months in Belgium
    • In any case you need a BIS number or a (Belgian) National Registration number (=rijksregisternummer) to make an appointment (see below)
    • You can make an appointment for vaccination by calling the vaccination hotline (+329 210 10 44) or with the assistance of the student doctor (+329 264 70 20 between 9 am – 12 am) or a general practitioner of your choice.

You can register on the QVAX list. Thanks to QVAX, you voluntarily register on a reserve list to get a Covid-19 vaccine faster. You don't pass anyone by, but are called up quickly when people don't show up at a vaccination centre.

What is a BIS number and how to obtain this?

The BIS number is a unique identification number for persons are not registered in the Belgian National Register (yet), but who have social security related contact with the Belgian government. You need this BIS number to make an appointment in the vaccination centre.

Once you are registered as a degree Bachelor, Master or PhD student at UGent, you will automatically be assigned a BIS number. Check the number on your Certicate of Enrolment in MyOasis/Certificates . This BIS number will be replaced by your Belgian National Registration number (“rijksregisternummer”) after official registration in the municipality.

If you are an international exchange student you don’t receive this automatically but you can apply for a BIS number by e-mail to in order to initiate your BIS number. Include the following documents in your e-mail:

    • A scan of your ID/passport
    • This document– completed with your information.

How do I obtain a certificate of vaccination in Belgium when I have been (partially) vaccinated in my home country with an EU/Belgian approved vaccine?

  • Apply for a BIS number (see above) or use your Belgian National Registration number (‘Rijksregisternummer’)
  • Contact the student doctors by phone (+32 9 264 70 20) between 9 am – 12 am, or contact a general practitioner of your choice, to activate your BIS number. The activation is done by phone, so please do not book an online appointment.

About three days later you will be invited to go to the student doctors to have your vaccination registered in the official government database Vaccinet.

How can I consult my certificate of vaccination or COVID-19 test result?

You can consult your health related information, such as COVID-19 test results or your COVID-19 vaccination, via My Health Viewer. About two days after you received the last dose of your vaccination or has been registered in Vaccinet this is already consultable in My Health Viewer . My Health Viewer is an official webpage by the Belgian government, that you can only access with a digital key.  

There are several ways to obtain this digital key:

  1. If you have a Belgian eID, you can easily activate this digital key. If you don't have a Belgian eID, you should go in person to the registration office of the city where you live. In Ghent, this is the Gent Infopunt.You will be registered once your identity has been checked. Use e.g. your international passport of you EU ID Card. During registration you will be given a personal activation code on paper and a link will be sent to your e-mail address. As soon as you have activated a digital key through the activation link and code, you will be given access to the online services of the government, based on your user name, password and digital key, and you will also be able to manage your digital keys. Check this video for more detailed information. 
  2. Through a recognized authentication system of your country (currently the Czech Republic, Germany, Estonia, Spain, Croatia, Italy, Luxembourg, Latvia, Portugal and Slovakia)
  3. Through an Itsme account granted after one-time authentication at a Belgian bank office
  4. After a one-time registration with a general practitioner.

What is a Covid Safe Ticket?

This is the same as a Covid Safe Pass or a EU Digital COVID Certificate (in some EU countries also called Corona Pass or Green Pass…)

It is a proof that either

  • You have been fully vaccinated against COVID-19 with an EU approved vaccin
  • received a negative test result or
  • recovered from COVID-19

This pass is  needed for travelling within the EU, for certain events, in fitness centers and in restaurants and cafes including Ghent University restaurants and cafetarias.

From 20/11/2021 onwards you will also need this Covid Safe Ticket for

  • public events and private meetings with more than 50 persons inside or more than 100 persons outside,
  • theatres, concert halls, music halls, cabarets and other performing arts facilities, cultural centres and multi-purpose halls for cultural activities, indoor circuses, cinemas, museums and (indoor) amusement and theme parks.
  • Discotheques and dance halls. (with the obligation for visitors to combine the Covid Safe Ticket with a self-test on the spot.)

More detailed information can be found on the Covid Safe app website.

If you experience problems to access your Covid Safe Ticket all information is available in this document.

Where can I be tested (PCR) after a high risk contact or when I have some COVID-19 symptoms or when I need a COVID SAFE TICKET or need a PCR test for travelling?

After a high risk contact: UZ Ghent University Hospital Test Centre 

If you have symptoms or need a Covid Safe Ticket: make an appointment via the online booking tool or ask for a test at a Pharmacy

How about health insurance?

All international students are obliged to have a health insurance during your stay in Belgium.

Please consult your private health insurance before you leave on whether you are covered for covid-19 related matters.
If you are a student moving to Belgium from outside the EU, we strongly recommend arranging travel insurance for the first month. Travel insurance plans usually cover your medical and urgent dental fees, as well as exceptional events such as repatriation and medical transport.

Please read this information carefully.

Where can I find general guidelines regarding (possible) infection, high risk contacts and quarantine?

Please check  this webpage

I have rented a room/flat in the University Halls of residence, what measures are taken so that I can self-isolate myself?

Please check the webpage of our housing office.

I have rented a room/flat on the private housing market, what measures are taken so that I can self-isolate myself?

You have to contact your landlord in order to see what extra measures are to be taken.

I feel unhappy/lonely during my quarantine. Can I speak to someone? What can I do?

You can contact one of our student psychologists/counselors at or 09/331.00.31
Please check some tips