The well-being and environment guide gives a general overview of the guidelines that are part of UGent's environmental policy. On this page you will find more specific information, procedures, awareness material, ... about different environmental themes.

Download the environmental, health and safety guidelines.

Permits, authorisations, recognitions


Hazardous substances and stock management

General guidelines

  • Chemicals must be purchased and registered through the inventory management system M-CHEM (SAP myapps > Welfare and Environment). Contact persons are Steven Dierickx and Dennis Heeren.

  • The purchase of hazardous chemicals should be in proportion to what you need.

  • Use less hazardous chemicals. Find a safer and more environmentally friendly alternative to a hazardous substance using the Green Alternatives Wizard.

  • Gas cylinders are better rented than purchased; as the processing cost is very high and not centrally paid.

  • For the purchase of explosive, hormonal, narcotic and radioactive substances, you must be in possession of a permit or official authorization; request this at milieu@ugent.be or - in the case of radioactive substances - at straling@ugent.be.

  • Precursors of explosives, application of Regulation EU 2019/1148: when ordering certain oxidants and flammables that can serve as raw materials for explosives, the supplier asks at least annually to sign a Declaration of the Customer. The laboratory manager signs, ensures the safe storage of these products and notifies the police in case of possible theft or untraceable large-scale consumption on tel. number 02 642 63 20 (explosiveprecursor@police.belgium.eu) and at the same time also the Permanency Centre of UGent.

  • Follow the guidelines concerning risk analysis, safe working practices and correct storage (in Dutch).

Guidelines for specific hazardous substances or operations

    Stock control

    • Hazardous substances stock management system via Athena > Apollo > Welfare and environment. Contact person is Steven Dierickx and Dennis Heeren.


    Guidelines on contained use

    Transport, import and export guidelines


    General guidelines

    • In all our buildings, we separate paper and cardboard, plastics, organic waste and residual waste.
    • Discarded but still usable material can be offered via a sharing platform (under development).
    • Each building has a spot where other smaller waste streams can be collected: glass, PCs, cork, electronic waste, etc.
    • When hazardous waste is produced, follow the guideline of the environmental, health and safety guidelines.
    • Look here for the right waste flow and the appropriate technical fiches and waste posters.

    Guidelines for specific hazardous waste


    Questions about waste? Collection needed?

    • Household waste: residual fraction, paper and cardboard, PMD, hollow glass
      • general: Facilities Agency (DGFB), tel 3164 - schoonmaak@ugent.be
      • at site level: the local waste contact, the secretariat of your department or the deanery
    • Technical waste: drop-off containers, polystyrene foam, furniture...: Facility services (DGFB), tel 3158 - transport@ugent.be
    • Chemical, small hazardous, medical or animal waste: Environmental Department (DBZ), tel 8947 - milieu@ugent.be
    • Radioactive waste: Department of Physical Control (DBZ), tel 6519 - straling@ugent.be
    • Departments at UZGent: consult the Environmental Department of the UZGent for procedures regarding waste.


    Water consumption

    • Premium for water-saving installations such as closed cooling circuits and vacuum pumps.
    • Obligatory reporting of defects

    Water discharge

    • List of polluting waste products that must not be disposed of via the water system

    Sustainable purchases

    General guidelines

    • Consume less: do you really need something new? maybe you can borrow it from someone?
    • Check in advance whether the item you want is available at the UGent thrift shop or contact: kringloopwinkel@ugent.be.
    • For purchasing lab products, check the stock management system.
    • As a lab employee, do you need a small quantity of a certain chemical product once? The Environmental Department can check for you via the PMGE management system whether it is available on campus.
    • 17% of GNP goes to government purchases. This means that government institutions can steer the market towards more sustainable products with their sustainable procurement policy. So make use of the framework agreements of UGent. These always try to include social and ecological aspects in addition to the price.
    • For products that do not fall within a framework agreement, choose a sustainable product and consult the sustainable purchasing guide.

    Energy and water, mobility, circular economy and biodiversity

    What is Ghent University doing to accelerate the energy transition and the shift towards sustainable mobility? And what about circular material management, green and biodiversity? What happens on your campus? And what do we expect from you? Read the guidelines.