Brexit: Papers, Please?

(19-11-2020) The transition period ends on 31/12. New migration and visa legislation will be implemented that will effect mobility for employees. Submit all required documentation to DPO as soon as possible.

British Citizens in Belgium

British citizens (including doctoral fellows) that are extending their employ or are going to start working at Ghent University after the 1st of January 2021 must follow the regular procedures for NON-EEA citizens. The Department of Personnel and Organization HR officer supervising the administrative recruitment process will clarify which procedure must be followed in order to obtain the correct visa or single permit.

British citizens that are already residents of Belgium must be in the possession of a valid ID card which grants the bearer indefinite rights of residency and employment in order to able to safeguard those current rights. The British citizen must pro-actively contact their city of residence in Belgium (or, in the case of cross-border workers, the city of Ghent) before the 31st of December 2020. A copy of your new ID card (type N or M) should be sent to

Belgian Citizens in the UK

In order to safeguard your right to Belgian social security, Ghent University employees (including doctoral fellows) that temporarily or permanently reside in the UK must provide DPO with a locally-issued residency and employment permit (the so-called settled status).

An A1 certificate must be submitted to your local or cross-border place of employment to confirm your being subjected to Belgian social security (this is necessary for membership of a health insurance company (NL: mutualiteit) and important for your pension rights). In case the Belgian NSSO (NL: RSZ) has not yet issued you an A1 certificate to confirm your being subjected to Belgian social security due to your employment at Ghent University, you can still apply for this certificate up to the 31st of December 2020.

For general information and advice concerning mobility from and to NON-EEA countries (including the UK from the 1st of January 2021 onward), please contact