Admission to bachelor programme

Direct admission

If your diploma is listed here-below, you will need to start up your enrolment application online: You will be required to upload this diploma and its transcripts. You will then be informed by e-mail on how to proceed for enrolment. You need to ensure that you meet the language requirements too.

  • a Belgian degree, for specific diplomas a list is available in Dutch
  • an "European Baccalaureate" issued by a European School
  • an "International Baccalaureate - Diplôme du baccalauréat international" delivered by the International Baccalaureate Office (Geneva, Switzerland)
  • a diploma from the NATO SHAPE-school
  • Germany: "Zeugnis der allgemeinen Hochschulreife/Abitur"
  • France: "Baccalauréat Général", "Baccalauréat Technologique" or "Baccalauréat Professionnel"
  • Luxembourg: "Certificat de Fin d’Etudes secondaires" or "diplôme de Fin d’Etudes secondaires techniques"
  • The Netherlands: "Voorbereidend wetenschappelijk onderwijs" (VWO)", "Getuigschrift van met goed gevolg afgelegd propedeutisch examen" of "Getuigschrift Propedeuse Hoger Beroepsonderwijs"
  • Suriname: "Voorbereidend wetenschappelijk onderwijs" (VWO)"
  • USA: "High school diploma" + transcript of records, with a minimum of 4APs (Advanced Placements), with an original Apostille seal
  • A foreign diploma declared equivalent by NARIC
  • A foreign university bachelor or master diploma, correctly certified/legalised
  • a correctly certified/legalised diploma with an accompanying access declaration  stating that, on the grounds of that diploma, the student can be admitted to university studies of the country in which the diploma was awarded, if this country has ratified the Lisbon Recognition Convention.
Please proceed to

Apply for admission

If you can be admitted in your own country for the programme of your choice, then you may be admitted at Ghent University for that same programme. You will need to submit a complete application package, which must include one of the following:

Please proceed to How to apply?

Entrance examination medicine/dentistry

There is an inter-university entrance examination (in Dutch) for admission in Medicine and Dentistry.

  • For all students who want to enrol for Medicine, Dentistry, or courses from these study programmes.
  • The examination takes place twice a year, one session in the beginning of July and one session at the end of August.
  • The Ghent University Language Centre (UCT) organises a course Academic Dutch, specifically for non-native candidates of this entrance examination.

Exemptions / Transfer to Ghent University

  1. If you submit a complete application, this will be assessed by the faculty. It is possible that the faculty grants exemptions, based on your previous studies. You will be informed of this in the letter of admission.
  2. When you have acquired qualifications or credits from previous studies (not included in the application package), you can ask the faculty board to be granted exemptions for certain course units, after enrolment.