Application documents

This information is only valid for PhD candidates that have been registered by their PhD supervisor via the PhD Wizard.

  • A legalised copy of the basic diploma (i.e. the diploma on which the admission would be based) and its transcript of records (report card – results of each academic year of your higher studies). These should bear the original seals and stamps from the Belgian Embassy. If your country is party to the “The Hague Treaty”, an original “Apostille” is required. For more information on the correct legalisation procedure applicable to you: Federal Public Service for Foreign Affairs, Foreign Trade and Development Cooperation. Please note that if your basic diploma is a Master diploma following a Bachelor diploma, you are required to provide all transcripts of records for each academic year of both Bachelor and Master.
  • If these documents are not in Dutch, French, German or English, you are required to enclose an official translation (by a sworn translator).
  • (If applicable) A proof of English proficiency. Check the Education and Examination Code, article 11 §8,  for certificates and proofs, accepted by UGent. Alternatively, your PhD supervisor can have confirmed your proficiency in English via the PhD wizard.
  • A document explaining the grading/credit system of the school where you have obtained your basic diploma.
  • Chinese students applying on the basis of Chinese diploma: an original APS certificate. When the original APS is submitted, the applicant is exempt from submitting legalised copies of the basic diploma and transcript. A notarised copy will suffice.
  • If you are a political refugee: an original letter stating that you are a political refugee. Such a document can be obtained at your municipality in Belgium.

Additional documents (only provide these documents if you are requested to fill in section D - and will be registered as a UGent employee)

  • A copy of your birth certificate
  • If applicable: a copy of your marriage certificate
  • If applicable: a copy of the birth certificate(s) of your child(ren)
  • A copy of your passport
At the time of submitting the application, only a scanned version of these documents is accepted. Bear in mind that the original documents are required at the time of enrolment.