Quarantine and positive Covid-19 test

I feel sick. What should I do?

If you feel sick, isolate yourself at home or in your room and contact your general practicioner or the UGent student doctors.

Symptoms are shortness of breath, cough, chest pain and altered sense of taste or smell. Also combinations of fever, muscle pain, nasal runny nose, fatigue, sore throat, headache or watery diarrhoea can be caused by COVID-19.

What do I do if I am positively infected with COVID-19 ?

If you receive confirmation that you are positive for COVID-19, you will have to follow the instructions of your doctor.

If you have tested positive for COVID-19 as a UGent student, please send an e-mail with your name, student card number, study programme and a telephone number where we can easily reach you to contacttracing@UGent.be  . In this way we will be quickly informed and we will be able to respond quickly. Your contacts will then be mapped out in consultation with UGent contact tracing and additional measures can be taken.

The contact tracing by the government will also be started: we ask you to cooperate fully, this for contacts you had outside the UGent context.

UGent staff will deal with this information in accordance with the associated deontological rules and respect for your privacy.

What if one of my friends, roommates, fellow students, housemates.... gets infected?


Ask your family doctor or the student doctor for advice by telephone. Keep a close eye on your health. You may have had high-risk contact with him/her and will be contacted with information about possible quarantine or testing.

When should I be quarantined?

You have to be in quarantine:

- as soon as you feel sick but have not yet taken a positive coronary test

- when you had a high-risk contact with a person who has corona (you were together for more than 15 minutes at a distance of less than 1.5 metres and without both of you wearing a mouth mask correctly)

- if you were abroad in a red zone for more than 48 hours and you receive a text message after completing the Passenger Localisation Form (PLF) see www.diplomatie.be

Wat moet ik doen bij quarantaine ?

You can find all the guidelines at https://www.info-coronavirus.be/en/quarantine-isolation/

If there are compulsory teaching activities or examinations during the quarantine period, you can apply for a special status


Where can I get tested?

You always need a referral from a doctor. You can't just get tested.

Contact your general practitioner the student doctors at UGent.

If you are staying in a room in Ghent, you can visit the test site of the Jan Palfijn Hospital https://gent.testcovid.be.