Language Requirements for Exchange Students
Ghent University is located in Flanders (Belgium), where the official language is Dutch, which is also our official language of instruction. However a growing number of courses is taught in English. Please check the exchange programmes to find out which language the courses are taught in.
As not all incoming students have a sufficient knowledge of Dutch, Ghent University requires a good knowledge of English (CEF B2-level or higher) in order to communicate and function in an academic context. Therefore all incoming exchange students are required to submit a language certificate which shows that they have acquired a B2-level in English.
You can submit one of the following documents:
- A TOEFL certificate: minimum score 510-559 (paper-based) or 87-109 (internet-based)
- An IELTS certificate: minimum score 6.0
- A TOEIC certificate: minimum score 785-944
- A Cambridge certificate: FCE, CAE or CPE
- A certificate of a university language centre: minimum level B2
- A proof that your are a native speaker of English this can be a copy of your identity card/passport)
- A proof that you successfully finished a study programme of at least one year which was completely taught in English
Attention: specific language requirements apply for exchange students at the faculty of Bioscience Engineering.
International Student Support