Short-term Blended mobility in the framework of Erasmus+ Roadmap/FAQ for outgoing Ghent University students

In addition to the classic exchange for study or placement, the Erasmus+ programme now allows students to go on an exchange for a shorter period. This can be done as part of a Blended Intensive Programme (BIP)

What is a Blended Intensive Programme?

A BIP is a programme (a course, course unit or module) where you work as a student with students and teachers from different institutions in an online component and also meet physically. The physical component lasts minimum 5 days and maximum 30 days. The study load for students is at least 3 credits = ECTS (for the physical and virtual component together).

Can I choose my own BIP?

Many universities in Europe organise a BIP. Ghent University must have an inter-institutional Erasmus+ agreement with the university organising such a BIP. Preferably, you take part in a BIP organised in partnership with Ghent University. If you have discovered something interesting, be sure to ask your programme.

Who can get me started?

  • With concrete administrative questions (e.g. application form, scholarships, etc.) about an Erasmus participation, you can always contact the Internationalisation Relations Office.
  • Within your own faculty and programme, you can contact the FCI president/staff member for all academic questions (opportunities, study programme, etc.)

Does this count towards my study programme?

Yes, participation in a BIP is considered part of the curriculum. You must then complete a learning agreement. The template is available in Oasis.

Do I have to pay a tuition fee to the host institution?

You don't have to pay a tuition fee for the BIP but you might have to pay a registration fee for lodging/catering/social activities.

Do I have to sign up for this somewhere? Are there any deadlines?

As for classic student mobility, outgoing participating Ghent University students must submit in time an exchange application via OASIS (mobility objective "Blended programme of short duration"). Be sure to submit your application by the first Monday of the month prior to the month of departure. ATTENTION : The institution/university where you take the BIP also has its own deadlines and may also require a separate registration/application.

Will I get an Erasmus+ grant?

Yes, so far all students are entitled to an Erasmus+ grant, provided they comply with all administrative formalities.

If your exchange application has been approved and your Ghent University enrolment for next academic year is ok, you must electronically sign your grant agreement via Oasis. Check the dates of your exchange before signing the contract. You will receive the necessary information about this via the International Support Team of the Internationalisation Relations Office.

For students, individual support amounts to

  • Between 5-14 days EUR 79 per day (with a top up of EUR 100 for certain students (study grant Flemish community, working student status....)
  • Between 15-30 days EUR 56 per day (with a top up of EUR 150 for certain students (study grant Flemish community, work student status....)
  • One travel day before the physical activity and one travel day after the physical activity are covered by individual support (calculated according to distance). You do not need to register these in Oasis, we will calculate them for you when paying your scholarship.
  • Some students (students with study grant Flemish Community, working student status....) are also eligible for a travel allowance.


Travel expenses


Amount per participant

‘Green travel’

Between 10 and 99 km

€ 23,00


Between 100 and 499 km

€ 180,00

€ 210,00

Between 500 and 1999 km

€ 275,00

€ 320,00

Between 2000 and 2999 km

€ 360,00

€ 410,00

Between 3000 and 3999 km

€ 530,00

€ 610,00

Between 4000 and 7999 km

€ 820,00


8000 km and more

€ 1500,00


Are there many administrative formalities besides my exchange application in OASIS?

  • You will also get more info from International Support Team about any other issues you need to consider and the formalities to follow
  • Since you will be studying in another language, the EU wants you to be well prepared to go on exchange , even if it is for a shorter period. You will therefore have to take a short language test via the Online Language Support system (OLS). You will receive the necessary information in due time
  • You will find the grant agreement in Oasis with your exchange application.
  • The participant report will be automatically sent to your Ghent University e-mail address based on the scheduled dates in Oasis.
  • Of course, we also want to know if you actually attended. For this, we ask that you have a Certificate of Stay signed upon arrival and departure. You will need to upload this document at Oasis.

Do I need to arrange my own transport and accommodation?

It depends on the organisation on site. Be sure to ask what the best options are.

Anyway, consider a sustainable alternative to air travel to and from your destination. Travelling by bus, train or boat has less impact on the climate and does not necessarily cost a lot either. The journey may take a little longer, but you will receive an extra day's grant if you can prove to us that you used a sustainable means of transport for your journey to your host institution and your return journey to Ghent University. You will receive a top-up of 50 euro for this.

You upload the proof of green travel (=train/bus/boat ticket) in Oasis via documents in your exchange application.

What about insurance?

  • Students enrolled at Ghent University are insured against various risks. Each insurance contains conditions and limits.
  • You can benefit from a number of insurances without having to pay a premium yourself. Ghent University pays the premiums.
  • For other insurances, you have to pay a premium yourself.
  • More info on insurance can be found on the website of the Legal Affairs Department or through your private insurance.
  • In case of an accident during your university activities at the host institution, please contact immediately the Ghent University Department of Legal Affairs and the International Relations Office.

What if something happens? What should I definitely do?

  • Until shortly before your departure, consult the travel advice of your government for the country/region of destination; if in doubt, contact .
  • Observe local guidelines and follow safety regulations.
  • Register yourself (if you have Belgian nationality) in the tool of the FPS Foreign Affairs so that the consular services can trace you quickly or (if you have another nationality) in a similar system of your country.
  • Make sure your personal contact details are entered in My OASIS.
  • Follow the advice of the host institution/internship site.

Do not hesitate to take the necessary steps if something arises. In case of possible problems, do the following:

  • In case of serious problems, contact the emergency services. The emergency number 112 applies in all EU countries but also in many others.
  • Contact the nearest embassy/consulate as soon as possible. If you do not have Belgian nationality contact your own Embassy/Consulate.
  • Contact Ghent University as soon as possible (during office hours to  and/or 24/24 - 7/7 at + 32 9 264 88 88 or , also to let them know you are ok).
  • Also quickly let the contact person you designated in OASIS know.  Also put your faculty's FCI officer in cc.
  • In case of personal accidents or illness, contact your health insurance company and insurer as soon as possible.

How will my obtained study results at Ghent University be interpreted?

Your participation in the BIP is recognised as a comparable period of study at the home institution (even though the content of the subjects may differ slightly). Most European countries use a different examination and grading system.

The evaluation and grading of Erasmus students is done according to the system of the host university, which often differs from the Ghent University system. To this end, a conversion key has been established within the ECTS system so that the study results obtained in anther university can be fitted into the final result at Ghent University by the examination committee.

In any case, contact your guest supervisor before your return to Ghent University so that he/she can return your study results on time. Some universities cannot deliver this transcript of records before your departure. In this case, make sure you know who the contact person in your host institution is for this and when you can receive the transcript of records. Also check whether you will receive the transcript of records electronically or in ordinary paper mail form.