Blocked Account for international (exchange) PhD candidates

Opening a blocked account at Ghent University is to prove your solvency. How does this work? When you are an exchange PhD or PhD candidate, continue here.

What is a blocked account?

When you choose a blocked account to prove your solvency, you will transfer the required amount (see further) into a Ghent University account. As soon as this money is received, Ghent University will issue a certificate of solvency to you which you will forward to the embassy/consulate or other departments.
After you arrival in Belgium, the transferred amount into this blocked account will be paid into your Belgian bank account on a monthly basis. Please note that this account can’t be used to pay tuition fees and other invoices.

Conditions for a blocked account at Ghent University

A. If you are still in your home country:

  • You are accepted as an exchange PhD or a full PhD candidate at Ghent University
  • You will stay for more than 3 months in Belgium and intend to apply for a D-visa
  • For exchange PhD students: the period for which you request a proof of solvency falls within one academic year (start date academic year/PhD research or exchange mobility period maximum 31st of October) and for a maximum of 13 months in total.

B. If you are already in Belgium:

  • You are enrolled/registered as a (exchange) PhD candidate at Ghent University 
  • You have entered Belgium with a student visa type D
  • You will (re-)apply for a residence permit for a minimum of 3 months
  • You ‘re almost graduating and will apply for an orientation/search year. For an orientation year it is compulsory to apply for a blocked account for one year/12 months.

How much do I need to transfer?

The minimum amount per month required by Ghent University differs from the minimum required by Belgian Law.

This amount is a fixed amount for each Ghent University student and is non-negotiable. Please note that the amounts mentioned are not sufficient to cover all your living expenses in Belgium.

This procedure can also be used if you want to top-up your own scholarship if this does not meet the legal minimum for visa approval. You ‘ll have to present the proof of blocked account together with your scholarship letter to the authorities for either your visa application or the prolongation of your residence permit.

Single student Minimum amount per month: 1.000 EUR

Minimum amount per month: 2.100 EUR;

disregarding the number of family members

Orientation/search year Minimum amount per month: 1.000 EUR

Ghent University charges a handling fee of 100 EUR for each request. This amount has to be transferred on top of the required blocked account amount.


  1. Single student admitted for PhD, starts in September:
    Duration Blocked account: 13 months from September to end of september following year
    Blocked account for 13x 1.000EUR = 13.000 EUR
    Total to be transferred: 13.000+100 (handling fee)= 13.100 EUR
  2. PhD student who comes with his/her family, starts in October. Family consists of wife/husband and x children.
    Duration Blocked account: 12 months from October to end of October.
    Blocked account for 12x2.100UR= 25.200EUR
    Total to be transferred: 25.200+100 (handling fee) = 25.300 EUR
  3. Exchange PhD student invited by Ghent University who receives a scholarship of 600 EUR per month from an external funder:
    Duration of blocked account: 10 months from 15 September to 15 July
    Blocked account for: 10x400EUR=4.000 EUR (1.000 EUR -600 EUR= 400 EUR per month)
    Total to be transferred: 4.000 +100 (handling fee) = 4.100 EUR
  4. Student who defends PhD in Belgium end of July and applies for a search/orientation year.
    Duration of blocked account: always 12 months! August to August
    Blocked account for 12x 1.000 EUR= 12.000 EUR
    Total to be transferred: 12.000+100 (handling fee) = 12.100 EUR

How to apply for the blocked account?

  1. Gather the necessary documents: Oasis letter of invitation for an exchange PhD, letter of admission for a full PhD, degree certificate for orientation year and your residence permit in case you live in Belgium.
  2. Complete and submit this questionnaire
  3. You will receive a confirmation of the completed form by e-mail
  4. Wait for the payment request with the unique reference number to be used for the transfer
  5. Don’t forget to add the 100 EUR handling fee!
  6. Use the unique reference number (if you don’t use this, we can’t track your payment)
  7. Keep a proof of payment for yourself (just in case)
  8. When the transfer is booked into the Ghent University account by our finances department, you will receive a confirmation by e-mail.
  9. After this confirmation e-mail, you will receive the certificate of solvency by e-mail within max. 5 days.
  10. You send the necessary documents and this certificate of solvency to your embassy/consulate or the Migration office in Ghent.

How to receive your monthly instalment

You arrived in Belgium and now you wish to receive your monthly instalment.

  1. Open your Belgian bank account. You can do this at a bank in Belgium, or an online account (e.g. Wise, N26,…) but make sure to take the Belgian IBAN.
  2. Add this bank account to “MyOasis”
  3.  Send an e-mail to with this new bank account, providing a photo/scan of your bank card or a bank contract which states your name and IBAN.
  4. This sets off the payments of your instalments. It will take minimum 1 week for your first instalments to be paid.
  5. As of then, you will receive an instalment at the end of each month (Tuesdays after the 20th of the month) for the upcoming month for the period as mentioned on your solvency certificate.

It’s likely that the first payment will be made only one month after arrival (best case scenario), because it takes time for students to open a Belgian bank account. If applicable, the first payment will include the payments for the past month. Therefore, you should bring enough money to pay for your accommodation and living costs for the first month(s) in Belgium. Often a deposit of 3 months is asked by landlords. Estimate the cost of student housing in Gent living in Belgium


Find the FAQs on the blocked account on this FAQ page.


If you have questions on this blocked account procedure, contact