Who can become an exchange student?
You can only become an exchange student if there is an agreement between your university and our Faculty in your study field. There are different possibilities:
- Erasmus Bilateral Agreement for one or two semesters (Master level only, in EU only) with a department of our Faculty. A current list can be found here, with local contact persons included.
- Institutional Agreement between your university and Ghent University
- An agreement between a professor of your university and one from our Faculty. Please state the name of the UGent professor. In this case, only exchange for a research stay or traineeship is possible (NO courses).
- Any other exchange scheme that includes Ghent University and your home university (Erasmus Mundus, Lisum, Lotus, Basileus, Eurotango, ….)
Your local International Office can tell you if such an agreement exists. They can also inform you about the conditions.
Bachelor or Master?
Exchanges are only possible at Master level.
Exception: if your university offers 4 year Bachelor programmes, you could be accepted as exchange student after completion of three years Bachelor (equivalent to 180 ECTS) at your home university.
Study programme at our faculty
You need a minimum number of credits on your exchange learning agreement to be admitted.
All students (including Erasmus Belgica students) require a good knowledge of English (B2 level). You need to proof this with a relevant proof of proficiency.
- These students are exempted:
- For English courses:
- Students who have finished successfully a study programme in English of at least 1 year
- Students who are native English speakers
- For Dutch courses:
- Students who have finished successfully a study programme in Dutch of at least 1 year
- Students who are native Dutch speakers
- Erasmus Belgica students
- These Master programmes have different requirements:
- Master of Science in Photonics Engineering (Dutch-taught programme)
- European Master of Science in Photonics
- Master of Science in Textile Engineering
- Master of Science in Nuclear Engineering
- Master of Science in Biomedical Engineering