Reporting absence

Absent during the academic year, during courses, seminars, practicals, exercises,…

You do not need to report a short period of illness or absence that only impacts theoretical lectures. You should inform the Faculty Student Administration (FSA) of the Faculty of Engineering and Architecture (contact details FSA, all campuses) of any longer period of illness.

Absent during exams (end-of-term evaluation), during continuous assessments, practicals or exercises with compulsory attendance, or other forms of continuous assessment

Due to the modified exam modalities as a result of the coronavirus, it is not necessary to submit the original supporting document by post (=legitimate proof of absence) for correctly reporting absences in the August/September 2020 exam period. You must still immediately notify the lecturer-in-charge as well as the Faculty Student Administration via e-mail, including a scan or photo of the document (e.g. medical certificate) no later than 3 working days after the first notification of absence.

Immediately notify the lecturer-in-charge (contact details in the telephone book of Ghent University) and the Faculty Student Administration of the campus (= the exam secretariat, preferably via e-mail, contact details of the FSA of all campuses).

You must submit an original supporting document to the FSA of the relevant campus, no later than 3 working days, as proof of your absence during the period. Mention your name, programme, missed exams or tests and lecturers.

If it concerns an absence with good cause, during an end-of-term evaluation, you immediately ask the examiner or the responsible lecturer if you can take a catch-up exam in the same examination period. In mutual consultation, and with notification to the examination secretariat, a different evaluation method may exceptionally be used.

If it concerns an absence with good cause, during any continuous assessments, the lecturer decides whether a catch-up activity is possible.

Legitimate reasons to be absent are the following:

  • illness or an accident that prevents a student from taking an exam;
    • Valid medical certificate = issued by a doctor on the day of the illness or accident and submitted to the FSA within 3 working days.
    • Invalid medical certificate = a certificate in which only the statement of the student is reported ("dixit certificate") or a certificate that was written after the illness or after the accident ("post factum certificate").
  • the death, during the examination period, of a relative by blood or marriage in the first degree (i.e. parents or children) or in the second degree (i.e. grandparents, grandchildren, brother, sister) or of a person living with the student;
  • judicial reasons (e.g. summons before a court of law);
  • an overlap with other examinations, other than catch-up examinations, within a personalised learning track. Overlapping means that two or more examinations take place at least partially at the same time;
  • other forms of force majeure (i.e. an event which has nothing to do with the student and which could not have been reasonably foreseen, prevented or overcome).


See also Article 75 of the Education and Examination Regulations (OER).