A. Exemptions based on credit certificates and previously acquired qualifications

Exemptions based on previous studies can be requested electronically via the following online application:

1. The courses for which you request an exemption have to be included in your curriculum (via Oasis).

2. Register in the exemption application ( and fill in all the details correctly before sending your request.

3. Add a copy of your degree (if you have any), credit certificates, transcript of records and course sheets on which you base your exemption request. The burden of proof is on the student.

4. The curriculum committee of the faculty assesses your application and finally decides on the approval of all exemptions applied for.

5. An exemption for a master's dissertation or research paper is never granted.

6. Because of the large differences in content, level and learning outcomes, exemptions are rarely granted on the basis of subjects from a professional bachelor's degree.

7. No exemptions can be given for courses for which you passed after deliberation.

8. You will be notified by email if your file is incomplete or if your file has been processed. You can always consult the status of your file in the same application. As long as the exemption has not been approved, we recommend continuing to take the classes

9. The faculty student administration (FSA) then submits the granted exemptions in your curriculum.

10. Respect the deadlines!
Applications for 1st semester courses: 14 November
Applications for 2nd semester and year courses: 28 February

11. Do you disagree with the decision of the curriculum committee regarding your exemption application? In that case you can appeal against this decision to the Internal Appeals Committee. The procedure for this is described in the Education and Examination Code under article 81.

B. Exemptions based on previously acquired competencies

During your studies, previously acquired competencies may be taken into account. Previously acquired competencies are knowledge, skills and attitudes gained outside of university during, for example, work, volunteer work, hobbies or club life experiences. These experiences cannot be corroborated by a study certificate, but can correspond to competences from a bachelor and/or master program.

The experience gained can be validated by means of an aptitude test (paid procedure), in which case you will receive a aptitude certificate with which you can then apply for exemptions. Exemptions based on previously acquired competencies do not directly lead to exemptions! For more information please contact

Study load reduction?

Under certain conditions, you may be eligible for a personalised learning path (GIT in Dutch) based on your exemptions or previous studies (see PART 1: Faculty personalised learning path regulations)

  • Your previous studies provide you with a large number of exemptions, which means that you qualify for a shortened study career.
  • During your studies you want to make the transition to one of our programmes from another (Flemish) university, without having obtained the degree.
  • You once started your study at the Faculty of Political and Social Sciences, but did not complete it, and now wish to obtain the degree.
  • ...

These students follow the above procedure for obtaining exemptions. Afterwards, you have to contact the faculty learning track counsellor ( to compose a personal learning path on the basis of the exemptions acquired (which may be spread out over different model standard learning track years). The learning track counsellor submits your file together with a recommendation for approval to the curriculum committee of the faculty, and then informs you about the final decision.