Statistical consulting (FIRE)
FIRE (Fostering Innovative Research based on Evidence) statistical consulting offers to UGent doctoral students and postdocs:
- Two separate two hour statistical consults .
- The possibility of statistical analysis if needed.
Advice may concern different phases of your scientific research including study design, data collection, statistical analysis, and the interpretation and reporting of study results.
Some faculties and departments have their own statistical consulting service, which you may want to contact first:
- Faculty of Medicine and Health Sciences - Biostatistics unit
- Faculty of Veterinary Medicine: contact Luc Duchateau
- Department of Plant Biotechnology and Bioinformatics, contact: Veronique Storme
- Faculty of Psychology and Educational Sciences - Statistics support
Make an appointment
Request a meeting with the consulting request form.
Have a quick question or looming deadline? Use our drop-in hours:
- Wednesday from 14:00 to 18:00
- Room 40.09.130.010, 3rd floor, building S9, Campus De Sterre, Krijgslaan 281, 9000 Gent
Questions are answered on a first-come, first-served basis, with no appointment necessary.
The Center for Statistics of Ghent University has been recognized as a formal Ghent University expert center. We obtained funding for the coordination of the range of services offered and renewed support for FIRE.
Thanks to the financial support from the Special Research Fund (BOF), FIRE is operational as of February 1, 2017. We are able to offer free statistical support to (post) doctoral researchers in their efforts to design, analyze and publish studies based on data. Under the current operational mode, each student/client is entitled to a maximum of 2 separate 2-hour periods of help from experienced and dedicated staff, free of charge. Arrangements are possible if more time will be needed. Please apply for a consult using the consulting request form, where terms and conditions of service are explained.
Looking to the future, we will be working to expand our services and grow back into full time mode through tapping into existing channels that finance research. In light of this, we encourage all researchers applying for grants to foresee some budget in the application to cover for expert professional statistical support. At this center you will be able to obtain such help at no more than the basic cost.