How to apply as an exchange student?
In order to come to Ghent University as an exchange student there should be a bilateral agreement between your home institution and Ghent University for your field of study.
Only in some specific cases you will get admission as an exchange student without this agreement: when you conduct part of your master thesis research at Ghent University, for a traineeship or in the case of a PhD exchange. However, if you want to follow courses as an exchange PhD student, an agreement is obligatory.
Attention: for a study exchange you should submit your application before the application deadlines (date of pre-enrolment is not taken into account for the application deadline).
Other applications should be submitted at least two months prior to arrival. For students who need a visa to travel to Belgium it is advised to start at least 3 months in advance.
The exchange application consist of two steps: pre-enrolment and application.
Pre-enrolment and approval of your home institution
1. Please go the Prospect Oasis website and create an account. When you login, you will have to complete some personal details.
2. At the end of this pre-enrolment process, Ghent University will approve (or reject) your application based on the nominations received from your home institution.
3. After the approval of your pre-enrolment, you will be able to start the actual exchange application by logging in at the Prospect Oasis website with the login you created in step 1.
4. In the menu on the left, you select the academic year of your exchange and click on the link ‘Exchange’ under ‘Curriculum’.
The exchange application consist of the following elements
5. If you have completed all the necessary information you will be able to submit the application.
- After submitting your complete exchange application the Faculty Officer responsible for Internationalisation (FCI) and the Ghent promoter will check if your application is complete and if you are eligible to follow the courses on your learning agreement.
- If the faculty approves your application, they will sign your Learning Agreement.
- After the approval of the International Relations Office you will receive an acceptance email with your signed learning agreement and your official invitation letter. The invitation letter is required for registration upon arrival and for your visa application (if applicable).
The approval procedure can take several weeks.
Please keep in mind that upon arrival in Ghent you need to visit the registrar’s office to register as an exchange student. At this moment you will also receive your student card and account.
- For academic matters (learning agreement, course specifications, credits, grades, exams, internship, etc.)
Faculty Officer responsible for Internationalisation
- For general info
- International Relations Office
- International Student Support