Psychosocial welfare for employees

Are things not going quite as you planned?

Are you about to have a burn-out or a bore-out?

Are you facing persistent tension or conflict? Do you find yourself at the receiving end of bullying, continuous gossiping, sabotage or pointless assignments?

Is there discrimination? Are you being ignored or laughed at sometimes? Are you the victim of unwanted sexual physical contact, comments and looks or other behaviour that is overstepping your boundaries?

Or are you in a managerial role, and would you like to know how to best address conflict between staff, how to make stress a subject of conversation or how to convey difficult messages?

Don’t keep this to yourself

We’re here for you. If you can’t talk to your colleagues or managers, pop in to see the confidential contact from your faculty or from another faculty for a confidential chat.

The confidential contacts are the faculty’s first port of call for all staff facing psychosocial risks, including stress, burn-out, collaboration or communication issues, conflicts and unwanted behaviour at work.

They offer a sympathetic ear and inform you about the possible options you have. The confidential contacts received specific training upon selection. They are bound by discretion and only consult with the central confidential advisors of the Psychosocial Welfare Unit.

You might like to make an appointment with one of UGent's confidential counsellors straight away ( They are ready, waiting for you. They listen and discuss possible solutions. In complete discretion, within four walls, within professional secrecy.

Doctoral and other students can contact their faculty’s Ombudsman in case of disputes with lecturers or problems during a doctorate for most statements or complaints. If this is, for some reason, not possible, then you can turn to the institutional Ombudsman for further mediation. Please visit the website for more details.

Do something about it

Don’t dwell on your problems, but talk about them instead. Make that move.

Would you rather talk to someone outside of Ghent University? You can contact the prevention officer for psychosocial aspects (

If you experience unwanted or unacceptable behaviour from external people, always report it to one of the confidential counsellor.

Because at Ghent University, nobody needs to face this on their own