Have you already obtained one or more ECTS credits in another study programme? If so, you may be eligible for exemptions on the basis of previously acquired qualifications (EVK, Eerder Verworven Kwalificaties).

You may be eligible for exemptions if the content of the course unit in your current or future study programme is similar to a course unit that you have successfully completed in a previous study programme. To check this, it is best to consult the Ghent University study guide. You can click on the course unit of which you think it corresponds with the course unit for which you already obtained a certificate.

If the exemption is granted, the course unit for which you are exempt will no longer be part of your curriculum. This means that you no longer have to attend classes, complete class assignments or take exams for that course unit.

You cannot obtain exemptions:

  • for course units within a university study programme based on credits obtained within a professional bachelor's degree. If you already obtained a professional bachelor's degree, you may be eligible for exemptions or an abridged bachelor. In this case, contact your learning track counsellor.
  • for course units within a linking programme based on credits obtained within the professional bachelor's degree on the basis of which you gained access to this linking programme. An exemption is possible when you obtained the credits in the framework of a linking integration programme (= you took the course unit at Ghent University as an elective within your professional bachelor's programme).

How do you apply for the exemption(s)?

As a student or prospective student, you can submit an exemption application via Oasis.

In some cases, you do not need to submit an application via Oasis:

  • If you change within Ghent University from programme A to programme B and you have already obtained a credit in programme A for an identical course unit with the same course ode in programme B (e.g. change from bachelor in Philosophy to Moral Sciences, change of language combination,...), you can immediately mention this in the comments field when submitting your curriculum. The Faculty Student Administration (FSA) will then assign the exemption to your curriculum.
  • If you wish an exemption for a full minor and/or elective, based on credits obtained in another academic programme or on an academic or professional bachelor's degree, please contact your learning track counsellor first.
  • Do you wish to apply for a (very) large set of exemptions or are you eligible for an abridged bachelor's degree (in Dutch)? If so, contact your learning track counsellor first.

In all other cases, follow the procedure below.


  • Step 1: Register or log in as a (prospective) student in Oasis and click on 'Exemptions' in the left menu in the 'Curriculum' tab.
  • Step 2: Create a new application via the 'New Application' button and fill in all required details. Check your educational background (or complete) and select the correct study programme.
  • Step 3: Add one or more course units for which you want to apply for an exemption.
  • Step 4: Add one or more course units on the basis of which you are applying for this exemption with all required details.
  • Step 5: Add all necessary documents to support your application.
  • Step 6: Add any comments and/or motivation to your application.
  • Step 7: Check that you have entered all details correctly and added all required attachments and submit your application.

Once submitted, you can access your file online through Oasis. You will also be notified by email when the status of your file has been updated and/or completed.

For more information, consult the manual for students.

Final submission dates

  • first-term course units: 14 November
  • second-term course units: 28 February

During the summer months and at the start of the academic year, an answer may take longer. You may not yet have a decision on your application at the start of the academic year. We recommend you to take up the course units in your curriculum and always attend classes while waiting for the decision.

How to appeal against Examination Boards decisions on exemptions?

Do you disagree with the decision of the Examination Board regarding your application for exemptions? In that case, you can file an appeal against this decision with the Institutional Appeals Committee. The internal appeal procedure is described in article 81 of the Education and Examination Code.