Fulbright Scholarship Programme

The Fulbright Program is sponsored by the Bureau of Educational and Cultural Affairs of the United States Department of State. The Fulbright Program awards approximately 6.000 new grants annually. Currently, the Fulbright Program operates in over 150 countries worldwide, including Belgium.

  • The Fulbright Student Program offers fellowships to U.S. graduate students for study and research abroad. The Scholars Program sends U.S. academics abroad to lecture and/or conduct research in a wide variety of academic and professional fields.
  • The Fulbright Senior Specialists program awards grants for a period of two-to-six weeks, designed to provide U.S. scholars and professionals opportunities to collaborate with professional counterparts at non-U.S. institutions of higher education, on curriculum and faculty development, institutional assessment and planning, and a variety of other activities.
  • The New Century Scholars Program is a forum for international, interdisciplinary collaboration among the world’s outstanding research scholars and professionals. Annually, the Fulbright Program assembles approximately 30 leading minds to collaborate on issues of global significance.
  • The Fulbright Teacher and Administrator Exchange Program involves one-on-one exchanges of approximately 240 administrators and teachers from K-12 schools, community colleges, and four-year institutions. The program operates between the United States and more than 30 countries worldwide.
  • The Fulbright Scholar-in-Residence Program enables U.S. colleges and universities to bring scholars and professionals from abroad to campus for a semester or an academic year, primarily to teach undergraduate courses. SIR grantees also assist in developing curricula and serve as a resource for faculty, students and the community.

How to apply?

Students, junior and senior academics and institutions in the U.S. can apply to one of the relevant Fulbright programmes for exchanges with or study/research visits at a Belgian university. Belgian students can apply for an exchange period at an American university.

For more information, contact:

e-mail : EU-cel@UGent.be
For applicants from Belgium and Luxemburg: Belgian Fulbright website
For applicants from the U.S.: US Fulbright website