Good to know

Living and working in Belgium

The Flemish public employment agency

The VDAB is the public employment service of Flanders. The official language is Dutch. If you are allowed to live and work in Belgium, the VDAB can help you in many ways.

There are also three other public employment services. Contact the service in the region where you live:

  • ACTIRIS, responsible for the Brussels-Capital Region, official language: Dutch and French
  • Le FOREM, responsible for the Walloon Region, official language: French
  • ADG, responsible for the German Community, official language: German

Orientation year in Belgium for non-EEA graduates

If your residence permit in Belgium is based on your studies and after your graduation you wish to stay in Belgium to look for a job, you are eligible for a 12-months residence permit for an orientation year. During this year you have to actively look for a job. This can mean both finding a job with a (Belgian) company or setting up a business of your own (in Belgium).

Useful websites

Working in Europe

Career Support

Online courses to shape your career

Discover yourselfDiscover yourself

Before you can find the job of your dreams, you first need to know what those dreams are. Your values, what you are good at and what you enjoy doing have an enormous impact on your choice of job or company. This video course will give you useful insights to start your job search.

Follow the e-course

Stand out job application processStand out during the job application process

Interested in the do's and don'ts during a (telephone) interview or how to deal with online tests and assessment days? This course will help you prepare for the application process: from sending your CV until contract negotiation. You will get many tips and tricks while going through this module.

Follow the e-course

Peer-to-peer workshops

Feel like meeting up with other job seekers and learn from each other?

Support for starting entrepeneurs

Exploring other options

Perhaps you are considering an extra study, a PhD, or going abroad?