Admitted degree students

Congratulations! You are accepted to study at Ghent University, Faculty of Engineering and Architecture (UGent-FEA). The adventure of studying abroad starts here!

To make your start at our faculty as smooth as possible, we have listed the most important links to get you started. If you have any more questions or doubts, do not hesitate to contact the Faculty International Relations Office.

Academic information

Academic year

Ghent University's academic year starts at the end of September. Every year the key dates for the following academic year are approved by the Board of Governors and made public. You can find them in the academic calendar:

  • UGent academic calendar: key dates for the whole of UGent (holidays, closures, start dates of the semesters, examination periods, ...)
  • Faculty academic calendar : faculty-specific dates (catch-up activities, feedback, publication of results, degree ceremony, ...)

Curriculum composition

When you enroll for a study programme at UGent, your curriculum will automatically contain all general courses in that study programme. A number of courses are elective courses that you can select yourself at the start of the semester.

The complete study programme of all Master courses can be found in UGent's course catalogue:

  • Click on the title of your study programme

Under "Programme summary" you can see the study programme of the complete master's programme, spread over 2 years (120 ECTS). The courses under "1-General courses" are the courses that are mandatory to take. In the column "Semester" you can see in which semester the respective courses are taught (1 for first (autumn) semester, 2 for second (spring) semester, Y for a complete year (1st + 2nd semester)).

Apart from these courses, you are supposed to enroll for a number of elective courses. The rules on how to do this are listed under the different subheadings in the programme.

1 year typically contains 60 ECTS (credit points). If you want to complete the master's programme in 2 years, you have to enroll in 60 ECTS per year.

Your curriculum has to be put into status "proposal" by 4 October at the latest. When you compose your curriculum, you should consider the curriculum regulations. Once your curriculum is in proposal, it will be evaluated and advised. You will be informed by e-mail about the decision on your curriculum.


Official enrolment at Ghent University is only possible after you have received the Letter of Admission from the Registrar's Office. You may be asked to bring paper copies of your application file. Please follow the instructions as received by e-mail. You can enroll at the Registrar's Office.


The academic year is divided into 2 semesters. This means that a part of the courses of a study programme is completed by the end of December, and a second part is completed by the end of May. Both study periods are followed by examinations. This means that the 1st examination period is spread over 2 months, January and June.

A course must be completed before an exam can take place. So all courses that are taught in the first semester have exams in January. All courses that are taught in the second semester have exams in June. Some courses are spread over an entire year (taught in 1st and 2nd semester, i.e. the full-year course units, marked in the study programme with "year"). Examinations for these courses take place in June.

At the end of August and the beginning of September, a 2nd examination period is organized. Students can use this period to retake (failed) courses from the 1st as well as the 2nd semester.

Marks received for practical exercises and the results of written and oral tests during the year may also be taken into account for the final result, as part of a system of permanent evaluation.

For each course unit the evaluation/examination method is indicated (in the course catalogue), as well as what the minimum requirements are to be awarded credit points.

Location of classrooms

The Faculty of Engineering and Architecture is spread over different campuses in the city of Ghent and its neighbouring city Zwijnaarde. All campuses are easily accessible by public transport. But most students use their bike to get around: it is easy to use and more flexible.

Rules and regulations

As a registered international student, you agree to comply with the rules and regulations under which the University, its staff and students must operate. The principles of the regulations underpinning these are set out in a number of codes and regulations, known as the Education and Examination Code.

To stimulate students to take responsibility for their own study progress, in Flanders a system of learning account has been established. If a student's learning account has been exhausted, further enrollment may be denied.

Time tables

The time tables of the complete study programme of your master's programme can be found in UGent's course catalogue:

  • Click on the title of your study programme

Under the tabs, and just above the courses of the First year, you can find links to the course schedules of the first and the second semester in the right corner. The schedule for the 1st semester contains time tables for all courses that are taught in the 1st semester (1st and 2nd master year). The schedule for the 2nd semester contains time tables for all courses that are taught in the 2nd semester (1st and 2nd master year).

Based on the course schedules, you can already start to prepare your curriculum for the 1st year (see Curriculum composition).

Once you have enrolled, you will be able to access your personal time table on the electronic platform Oasis. It will include the schedule for all courses in your curriculum, as well as the location.


Computer rooms

The Faculty of Engineering and Architecture has a number of computer and laptop rooms available for its students. UGent has a list of all PC rooms, grouped by Campus.

Electronic platforms

UGent uses a number of electronic platforms to facilitate its administration and communication. These are the most commonly used platforms at our faculty:

  • Ufora
  • Plato
  • Athena
  • Oasis

We have listed the use of these platforms on our website. UGent also has a ICT guide for students that lists all available services and platforms.

Laptop requirements

At the Faculty of Engineering and Architecture some courses may be taught in laptop rooms. This implies that students will have to bring their own laptop and UTP cable. Having a laptop is mandatory for students at the Faculty of Engineering and Architecture. If you want to buy a new laptop, please check our buying tips for laptops.


UGentNet is the internal computer network of Ghent University. You can connect to the network using your UGent-account. Details of how to activite your UGent-account will be e-mailed to you upon enrollment. The ICT Helpdesk has more information on how to connect to UGentNet.

Support services


A big part of UGent and FEA's culture revolves around the self-reliance of students. This means that staff and lecturers count on students to take initiative. A lot of resources are dedicated to supporting students, but students will have to take the first step to benefit from them.

Therefore it is very important that you speak up if you have any questions or issues that you are struggling with. All support services are more than happy to help, but please approach them yourself. Don't wait until it's too late, but address the issues immediately. This will avoid any delays or escalation, and it will also make you feel better. So don't hesitate to contact staff and lecturers if you need help. We are more than willing to help.

You are expected to read your UGent-mail (received through your official UGent e-mail address) regularly and to be aware of the information that has been distributed by UGent e-mail.

You are also expected to read all announcements and information on Ufora. This is the official means of communication between the lecturers and students.

International Relations Office

The International Relations Office is the first point of contact for all international students. Annelies and Bert are ready to help you with whatever question you may have. Either they will answer themselves, or they will refer you to the relevant person. Please do not hesitate to contact them by e-mail, or to stop by during the opening hours.

When e-mailing, please use your UGent e-mailaddress if you already have one, and make sure you clearly state your name.

When you want to drop by the office, it is easiest if you make an appointment by e-mail before. Of course, you are always welcome during the opening hours, even without appointment.

Job Service

Ghent University has a Job Service specifically for students. Keep in mind that finding a job as an international student is not always easy, because of the language barrier. However, there are some possibilities, and the Job Service can help you find them.

Social Services

The Social Service may act as an intermediary between students and other facility and support services, such as the Housing Department, Job Service, Student Administration, ... You can contact them .

Special status

Students with a special status may be granted - depending on the grounds on which the special status was given - one or more facilities.

The special status can be granted on the grounds of:

  • Functional impairment
  • Approved top-level sports activities
  • Professional artistry
  • Holding office
  • Exceptional social or personal circumstances
  • Student entrepreneurship
  • Foreign-language speaker
  • Combining work and study

A special status can be requested through Oasis. More information about special status

Study counselling and support

When studying at UGent, you are not alone. Apart from your fellow students and your lecturers, the university offers a number of study support services to help you with academic issues or questions.

These departments are open to all students and are ready to support you where needed.

Social and cultural preparation

Language courses

As the official language in Ghent is Dutch, we recommend you have a basic knowledge of the language, to get around in daily life. The University Language Center (UCT) offers basic Dutch classes in the evening. UGent-students can enroll at a competitive price. If you want to take a course prior to enrolment, you will have to pay the full price first, but will be reimbursed upon enrollment.

Since all master programmes at FEA are taught in English, it is instrumental that you have a good knowledge of English. Therefore English courses at the UCT are highly recommended. Apart from the general English courses, the UCT also offers courses in Academic English, which will help you get more insight in the academic use of the language.

Living in Gent

Studying at FEA means you will be living in a new environment, with new habits and a different culture. Ghent University has a broad overview of information on everyday life in Ghent.

Low country studies

If you want to learn more about the culture and history of Flanders, Belgium and The Netherlands, you can enroll in the post academic programme Low Country Studies. The course takes up about 25 hours and consists of 12 lectures and 4 extra-curricular activities. Upon successful completion of the course, you will receive an official certificate.