Do you already have a degree?

Do you already have a degree? Have you already obtained credit certificates or gained experience that could be relevant to the study programme you want to start? Depending on your experience or preliminary training, you may be eligible for:

  • Preparatory programme
  • Linking programme
  • Abridged bachelor
  • Exemptions based on previously acquired qualifications (Eerder Verworven Kwalificaties, EVK)
  • Exemptions based on previously acquired competencies (Eerder Verworven Competenties, EVC)

To find out what you are eligible for, check the admission requirements of the master's programme you are interested in. You can find the admission requirements via the study guide (choose the study programme you want to follow > tab 'About the programme')

Enrolment for a preparatory or linking programme, or for an abridged bachelor, takes place in the same way as a regular enrolment. In some cases, you need the faculty’s approval. If this is the case, you will be asked to submit certain evidence, diploma supplements or certificates during the enrolment procedure. After you have enrolled, you need to compose your curriculum in Oasis. Usually, a study programme of 65 ECTS credits or more is spread over several years. If you have any questions about the composition of your curriculum, please contact the learning track counsellor of your study programme.

Preparatory programmes

Do you already hold an academic bachelor’s or master’s degree (or licentiate) with which you cannot be directly be admitted to the master’s programme of your choice? If so, there may be a preparatory programme which will allow you to be admitted to the master's programme concerned once you have successfully completed this programme.

Please note that some preparatory programmes are interuniversity and therefore have their own regulations. This applies to the following programmes:

Linking programmes

Are you already in possession of a professional bachelor’s degree? Then there may be a linking programme to the master’s programme you are interested in. Once you have successfully completed this linking programme, you may be admitted to the relevant master's programme.

The linking programmes at the faculty of Arts and Philosophy usually have a well-defined target group. Check carefully whether your professional bachelor is among the admission requirements.

Abridged bachelor

Are you not eligible for a preparatory or linking programme with your previously obtained degree? Then you might be offered an abridged bachelor. An abridged bachelor is more comprehensive than a preparatory programme or linking programme. After completing the abridged bachelor’s programme, you will obtain a full bachelor’s degree. The programme of an abridged bachelor consists of the same course units as the full bachelor’s programme, but a standard set of exemptions is granted. At the faculty of Arts and Philosophy, eight study programmes (in Dutch) offer an abridged bachelor's programme.

Admission requirements for abridged bachelors:

  • African Languages and Cultures, Archaeology, Art History, Musicology and Theatre Studies, Moral Sciences, East European Languages and Cultures, and Philosophy: hold a professional or academic bachelor’s or master’s degree. 
  • Linguistics and Literature and Applied Language Studies: hold a degree in Linguistics and Literature, or Applied Language Studies and wish to obtain a degree in an additional language within the same study programme.

Enrol/apply for an abridged bachelor:

  1. You enrol for the regular bachelor's programme. This is done in two steps (online enrolment application and final enrolment). If you have just graduated from Ghent University, you can create a new enrolment via Oasis and skip the first step. 
  2. You send an email to stating ‘application abridged bachelor + programme’ and your diploma of higher education attached. In this email you also mention which course units you wish to include in your curriculum for that academic year. If you have any doubts about the composition of your curriculum, it is best to visit your learning track counsellor first. Important: the course units of the first year of the standard learning track (see the programme in PDF - column MT1) must be included, unless you have special status or working student status. More information about working and studying.
  3. The Faculty Student Administration (FSA) will amend and approve your curriculum. Once this has been done, you can accept your curriculum in Oasis. If necessary, you can still edit your curriculum.
  4. Additional exemptions can be requested via the online form

Exemptions based on previously acquired qualifications (Eerder Verworven Kwalificaties, EVK)

Do you hold some credit certificates from a previous study programme, but were you unable to complete a full programme and obtain a degree? Then you may be exempted from certain course units within your study programme. You have a chance to be exempted if there are course units in your current or future study programme of which you think: “this resembles a course unit for which I passed, from the study programme I have already taken”. To check this, it is best to consult the study programme you wish to follow in Ghent University’s study guide. You then click on the course unit for which you think that it corresponds with the course unit for which you have already obtained a certificate.

If you apply for an exemption, and it is granted, the course unit for which you are exempt will no longer be part of your curriculum. This means that you no longer have to attend classes, do class assignments and exams for that course unit. You can apply for an exemption via the procedure provided for that purpose.

Exemptions based on previously acquired competencies (Eerder Verworven Competenties, EVC)

During your studies, previously acquired competencies (Eerder Verworven Competenties, EVC) can be taken into account. Previously acquired competencies are knowledge, competencies and attitudes acquired by students outside of university as part of their profession, voluntary work, hobbies or social life. This kind of experience is not authenticated by any formal study qualifications but may correspond with competencies from a bachelor’s and/or master's programme, in which case it can be recognised as a ‘previously acquired competency' by means of an aptitude test. With this aptitude certificate you may then apply for exemptions. Previously acquired competencies do not lead directly to exemptions.

All information can be found on the Ghent University Association website (in Dutch). 
If you have any additional questions, contact Mrs Sophie Decoene.

Questions about the composition of your curriculum?

In many cases, it is already possible to combine course units from a preparatory programme, linking programme or abridged bachelor with course units from the subsequent master’s programme. It is best to contact the learning track counsellor of the study programme in which you are interested, in order to find out exactly what possibilities you have and to compose your concrete curriculum.

General information about spreading your studies, combining work and study, special status, etc. can be found on the central page on flexible studies (in Dutch).