Working and studying

Are you already working and would you like to continue your studies? Ghent University will put you on the right track with the necessary practical information (in Dutch).

Working student status

Are you employed or self-employed for at least 80 hours per month? Then you can apply for the working student status. Please note: you can only apply for this status after you have been enrolled at Ghent University. How to apply?

If you have obtained working student status, the faculty may grant you certain facilities.

Working and studying at the faculty of Arts and Philosophy

Facilities for students with working student status

  • being exempted from educational activities requiring student attendance. In this case, a task may be imposed instead;
  • having one or several examinations rescheduled to a different time in the same academic year and, if necessary, with a different evaluation method;
  • being given an alternative time for feedback.

The concrete implementation of the facilities may vary per course unit and the lecturer is free to refuse the facilities. Moreover, not all course units can be taken if you are unable to attend the lesson, so please check this per course unit: click on your study programme in the study guide > tab 'programme' > click on the course unit > open the PDF of the course sheet.

Enrolment and the composition of the curriculum

Before you can apply for the working student status, you need to enrol for the study programme you wish to follow. The tuition fee (in Dutch) is the same as for the other students. There are possibilities to pay via training cheques (in Dutch).

After you have been enrolled, you need to compose your curriculum, which consists of those course units for which you want to sit an exam in the current academic year. The course units of the first year of the standard learning track (BA1) must be included, unless you have a special status or working student status. 

Consult the timetables and the study and examination periods when composing your curriculum.

Do you already have a degree, or do you think you are eligible for exemptions? If so, be sure to check whether or not you can apply for a specific programme with study load reduction.

Getting started

It is advisable to attend at least the first lesson of each course unit you are taking. After all, during the first lessons important information is given about the study material, the structure of the course, any mandatory assignments, and the exam. Usually, this is also made available on the Ufora digital learning platform after the lesson.

Establishing the facilities

If you would like to make use of one or more facilities of the working student status, please contact the lecturer(s) by email as soon as possible to formalise the facilities. Also provide the lecturer(s) with proof of your working student status.

If there are differences of opinion between the student and the lecturer, the learning track counsellor can mediate.


Contact the learning track counsellor of your study programme.