There are essentially two possibilities to start a PhD at Ghent University. You can either apply for an open PhD position or you can have a UGent professor to act as your PhD supervisor (or 'promotor'). In that case you can either look for your own funding or the professor can apply for a UGent salary.
- Via an open position: check out the job opportunities for research staff
- Via a UGent professor: the majority of scientific staff starts work at UGent by explicit invitation of a promotor. Because all PhD applications must be supported by a UGent supervisor it is crucial you identify the appropriate professor.
- Financial matters: all PhD students have to dispose of sufficient financial means during the whole of their stay.
Doctoral studies in almost all areas of study are open to holders of a master degree (or a degree of minimum four years of study considered equivalent).
All international candidates need to complete a (mostly administrative) procedure during which the academic aspects (equivalence of your degree, research proposal, language skills) will be evaluated. This procedure may take some time (discounting even the time spent gathering your documents and applying for a visa).
- Admission requirements - in some cases candidates may be required to do a predoctoral programme > Admission requirements in detail
- Application procedure - PhD supervisors are invited to register their international candidates who have acquired funding via the online tool PhD Wizard. In that case the standard application procedure (for candidates without funding) will be slightly different.
- Joint PhD - if the candidate spends at least 6 months at another institution a joint doctoral degree might be interesting > Joint PhD procedure in detail
After assessment of your application dossier, Ghent University will inform you of the decision by sending you an official letter, signed by the Rector. With this letter of admission you will be able to enrol and to apply for a visa.
All PhD researchers must enrol as student at the Central Student Administration Office at the start of their study, as well as re-enrol every following academic year (until graduation).
- Enrolment procedure in detail
- PhD tuition fees - a tuition fee is paid upon first and defense enrolment (yearly re-enrolment is free)
The Doctoral Schools are there to complement the supervisor's work with in-depth courses, with training in transferable skills and through stimulating a dynamic research environment.