Application and enrolment for or discontinuing a doctorate (Ph.D.)

Application procedure before enrolment

International applicants

    • Holders of a foreign degree need to complete an admission procedure during which the academic aspects (equivalence of your degree, research proposal, language skills) will be evaluated.
      This procedure may take some time (discounting even the time spent gathering your documents and applying for a visa).
    • Your PhD supervisor will need to start up the application procedure:
    • After assessment of your application, Ghent University will inform you of the decision by sending you an official letter, signed by the Registrar.
      With this letter of admission you will be able to enrol and to apply for a visa.

    BENELUX applicants

      • Holders of a Belgian (or Luxemburg/Dutch) degree can apply through a simplified procedure.

      In both cases a candidate needs to obtain the explicit commitment of a UGent supervisor.

      General information on doctoral research at Ghent University

      Enrolment as PhD student

      All PhD researchers must enrol as student at the Registrar's Office at the start of their study, as well as re-enrol every following academic year (until graduation).

      Joint PhD contracts can be established from the start of the PhD degree if a research student intends to carry out doctoral research at more than one institution for a considerable length of time, and with a supervisor in each of the institutions.

      Enrolment for Doctoral School and Doctoral Training Programme

      • If you are enrolled as a PhD student at Ghent University you automatically become a member of one of the Doctoral Schools.
        You will have to decide which Doctoral School best meets your research topic.
      • All enrolled PhD students are also automatically enrolled for the Doctoral Training Programme Ghent University.
        That way you can take part in courses and activities.
        In some faculties this programme is mandatory.

      Discontinue your Doctorate

      In case you decide to discontinue your doctoral research, you need to terminate your contract online via Oasis or go to the Registrar's Office in person.

      When terminating your contract for the doctorate, your contract for the doctoral training programme will be terminated automatically.

      Online via Oasis

      • Go to Oasis
      • Choose 'Stop' in the left column
      • Your current contracts are listed
      • Select the contract of your doctorate and follow the instructions
      • You will receive an email confirming the termination of your contract with your promotor in cc
      • Destroy your student card (if you have no other enrolments at UGent)

      In person at the Registrar's Office

      • Go to the Registrar's Office
      • You will have to fill in and sign a form
      • Hand in your student card and (unused) certificates of enrolment if you have no other enrolments at UGent

      We advise you to consult your promotor before terminating your contract.

      Do not forget to inform your Faculty Student Administration.

      You can have a refund of the tuition fee (except for the fixed amount), if you formally terminate your doctoral enrolment within 4 months after your first enrolment.

      PhD Lifecycle